Subject: Re: [urn] Open letter to WG participants (was: Re: Working Group Last Call of draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-06.txt)

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:41:30 -0700

At 08:10 19-09-2013, John C Klensin wrote:
>The WG will be three years old in late November.  I hope and
>wish we could set a target of having the documents in the hands
>of the IESG well before that, ideally before Vancouver.

 From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg01626.html

   "If the WG does not make visible progress before IETF 82 (which I
    would measure by, at least, updated versions of the chartered I-Ds),
    as the responsible AD I will need to consider taking more drastic
    measures to generate a successful outcome, or consider closing the WG."

And http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg01679.html

   "I assume that the URNBIS WG will meet at IETF 83 in Paris (if the WG
    does not plan to meet then my concerns would become even more grave).
    Please note that WG sessions need to be scheduled less than 2 weeks
    from now:"

There were an issue about authorship.

 From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg01843.html

   "We have tried to standardize the URN syntax in Finland before, but failed
   (in about 2005 or so) when the external evaluators said that the draft was
    not compliant with URI syntax as defined in RFC3986. This time we do not
    want to take any risks.  On the other hand, there is an urgent 
national need
    to revise RFC2141, since the government is planning to establish a URN
    service for the entire public sector.  Currently the national library of
    Finland and its partners are assigning about 200.000 URNs annually to
    persistent digital resources; this figure is likely to rise."

And http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg02062.html

   "Today begins a two-week working group last call of
    draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-06.txt. This last call will end
    Tuesday, 27 August 2013."

And http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg02120.html

   "It is now over three weeks since the closing date and I, at least,
    have no idea where we are.  Do the WG Chair(s) think we
    have consensus?"

Can the Finnish government rely on the IETF for technical standards?

Regards,
-sm