Subject: Creating an umbrella group for Network Sync Protocols

From: todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:41:02 -0700

Folks
the value of network based time sync efforts has been long understood in 
this community but ...

I want to propose now that it (time and network sync) be elevated within 
the IETF even farther so that time itself becomes the vertical allowing 
the IETF to bundle all of the legacy and new potential time service 
infrastructures, protocols and use models in a single IP vertical 
specific to event and systems synchronization.

This would create an umbrella which would allow the creation of a IETF 
practice groups for PTP for instance, and allow the NIST models better 
penetration onto the Open Standards platform the IETF is manifesting 
itself as today

Conceptually IETF could go so far as to put all of the legacy control 
protocols, RFC3161 and all of the other timestamping practices can be 
put under one umbrella.

Todd

-- 
Todd S. Glassey
Personal Disclaimers Apply