Subject: Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:41:51 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>

    > I would even suggest that all I-D authors, at the very least, should
    > need to register with the IETF to submit documents. 

Oddly enough, back in the Dark Ages (i.e. the ARPANET), the DDN maintained
such a registry, and so if you Google 'NC3 ARPANET' you will see that that
was the ID assigned to me back then. We could easily do something similar.

	Noel

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Sep 2013 17:31:50 -0000

>was the ID assigned to me back then. We could easily do something similar.

It carried over to the early NetSol registries, where I was JL7, but
please include me out this time.

It might be useful to have some way for RFC authors to create a
persistent forwarding address, if they want to do so.  We already have
a place for authors to include an ORCID URL, if they want to.

But it is really not our problem to make life easier for grad students
in the 2040s trying to create influence graphs from the
acknowledgement sections of dusty old RFCs.

R's,
George