Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:04:01 +0100

Hi Pete,

At this point, a working week through the four week last call, I am wondering
whether the volume of comments and changes merit waiting for a revised version
before I do a last call review, or whether I should dive in with the current
version and risk raising a number of points already covered by others.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:25:53 -0500

> version and risk raising a number of points already covered by others.

Half of one, six dozen of the other. :-)

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a revision coming to 
address a bunch of comments, and you'll notice that I haven't even 
started to tackle the comments in the thread that Ted started. (That's 
in my edit buffer and is next on my list.) I certainly wouldn't mind 
hearing comments that haven't been brought up yet, or hearing 
disagreements with comments already made, but I certainly wouldn't be 
distressed if you waited for the next go-round either.

My sense is that the revision is going to have a lot of little changes 
(sorting the "actual history" from the "what's new" is going to require 
a bunch of smallish edits), and I need to adjust some of the framing of 
some of the bigger points, but I don't see drastic thematic changes 
coming. (Obviously I've got some 'xplaining to do on some of the themes, 
and it's always possible that Ted convinces me that I'm completely 
wrongheaded on one or more of them, but that's my current assessment.) 
I've got a bunch of airplane time in the next 4 days, so I might even 
get this out by sometime next week.

And remember, the Last Call ends during Vancouver, so there's certainly 
going to be longer than average time at the end to deal with comments.

Does that help you decide?

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478