Subject: Last Call: <draft-mahalingam-dutt-dcops-vxlan-08.txt>: 4 comments

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:18:14 -0500

-- Section 4.3:

   VTEPs MUST not fragment VXLAN packets.

Nit: "MUST not" -> "MUST NOT"

-- Section 5:

   IANA has assigned the value 4789 for the VXLAN UDP
   port and this value SHOULD be used by default as the destination UDP
   port.  Some early implementations of VXLAN have used other values
   for the destination port.  To enable interoperability with these
   implementations, the destination port SHOULD be configurable.

Minor issue: Why is this "SHOULD" instead of "MUST"?

   The UDP checksum field SHOULD be transmitted as zero.

Major issue: That's ok for an IPv4 outer header, but for an IPv6
outer header, see, apply and cite RFC 6935 and RFC 6936.  This is
important and also applies to the optionality of UDP checksum
verification for IPv6.

Editorial: It would help if section 5 explained what two Ethertype
values are - 0x0800 is the Ethertype for IPv4, 0x08DD is the
Ethertype for IPv6.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------