Subject: Consequences of Snowdonia

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:17:49 -0500

This is off topic but I know from sources that my posts here reach certain
targets.

Fact: The Russian Army is mobilizing on the borders of Ukraine

Fact: Cyber attack activities by Russian government sponsored and
unaffiliated supporters are going to ramp up as part of that effort.

Fact: The Internet security community can't trust the NSA to coordinate the
response because you betrayed us.

Fact: There is an acknowledged risk that cyber-attacks whether from
government sponsored organizations or independent groups could be the spark
that turns an international crisis into a war.

I don't think we need to debate the facts further. We are now in a very
bad, very dangerous situation and the fault for the loss of trust lies with
the US military.

This is not a problem caused by one incident or disclosure. The
cyber-attack doctrine itself is at fault. The industrialized world is the
worlds biggest glass house and we spend $55 billion a year inventing new
ways to throw stones.

If there is an invasion it is very likely that the Russians will attempt a
repeat of their tactic from the South Ossetia campaign and using BGP
rerouting and Web site hijacking to issue bogus instructions purporting to
be from the Ukraine government telling citizens, police etc. to make no
resistance.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Christopher Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:16:07 -0500

> This is off topic but I know from sources that my posts here reach certain

you're probably just trolling but...

> Fact: The Russian Army is mobilizing on the borders of Ukraine

this is akin to what happened in ~04 with Estonia/Talinin, almost?

> response because you betrayed us.

In which prior incident has anyone of consequence cared a whit about
what 'nsa' had to say or coordinate? (none, really, none)

> rerouting and Web site hijacking to issue bogus instructions purporting to

welp, I'm super glad we fixed bgp security and hijacking and
'mis-origination' ... wait. :(

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 03:02:38 +0000

Phillip,

I'm not quite sure how this relates to what we as engineers need to do for networking. Can we avoid discussing specific conflicts?

(What tools we might develop to prevent routing hijacks etc. might be a more interesting and in-scope topic.)

Jari