Subject: Eating the dog food

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:56:38 -0500

We have a lot of security protocols that the IETF does not deploy on its
own sites.

There is thus a push from many quarters to have the IETF eat its own dog
food which is of course an excellent idea.

But could I just point out that the point is not to eat the dog food so as
to convince ourselves just how tasty and yummy it is. The value of a dog
food program comes when the manufacturer realizes that there is a reason
the dogs don't like it and changes the recipe.

Without feedback, the process is like doing usability evaluations in a lab
and taking no notice of the outcomes.

I am seeing a lot of groups demanding the IETF eat the dog food but rather
fewer asking why they dog food isn't being eaten.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:06:23 +0100

Hi Phill,

We held a workshop about this dogfood "Internet Technology Adoption and
Transition" (ITAT) in December, where we talked a bit about that, not
just from a security perspective.  I'll have a draft of the report
posted when the directory reopens, and there will be a brief BRIEF
report in the tech plenary (which will be busy).

Eliot

On 2/21/14, 3:56 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> We have a lot of security protocols that the IETF does not deploy on
> its own sites.
>
> There is thus a push from many quarters to have the IETF eat its own
> dog food which is of course an excellent idea.
>
> But could I just point out that the point is not to eat the dog food
> so as to convince ourselves just how tasty and yummy it is. The value
> of a dog food program comes when the manufacturer realizes that there
> is a reason the dogs don't like it and changes the recipe.
>
> Without feedback, the process is like doing usability evaluations in a
> lab and taking no notice of the outcomes.
>
> I am seeing a lot of groups demanding the IETF eat the dog food but
> rather fewer asking why they dog food isn't being eaten.
>
>
> --