Subject: Re: [90attendees] Hints on best airport transfer someone?

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 2014 13:43:38 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>I assume you mean from Pearson International airport to downtown. It's not just the cost,
>it's the time, due to all the road construction going on. Much better to go to Billy Bishop
>airport on Toronto Island if you can.

Since the runway is under 4,000 feet, I doubt there will be flights
from Europe any time soon.

It's a regional airport, with flights from Montreal, Boston, Newark,
Chicago (MDW), Washington (IAD), and several cities in Ontario.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 2014 19:28:12 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>The bus + subway alternative does not look too bad, although if you have
>lots of bags it could be a bit cumbersome. Around $10 in total if I
>understand it correctly. Then there is the express bus, around $24. Not
>exactly cheap for a bus, but cheaper (and hopefully faster) than taxi.

The bus+subway is $3.  You pay for a token or ticket for the bus, the
transfer to the subway is free.  (Coming back, you pay for a token for
the subway, and the transfer to the bus is free.)

I've done it.  If can carry your luggage up and down a flight or two
of stairs at the subway stations, it's fine.

The express bus is $29, or $42 for a round trip.  

The express bus takes more or less the same route as a taxi, but makes
several stops, so it will always be slower than a taxi.  On nights and
weekends when there is little traffic, a taxi will be fastest.  During
the day when there is congestion and construction traffic, the local
bus+subway can often be faster since the local bus doesn't come into
downtown, only to the end of the subway line.  The express bus only
runs once an hour on weekends and the local bus runs every 8 to 10
minutes, so you may be halfway there via the local bus before the
express bus even leaves.

R's,
John