Subject: Trustees Decide to Abandon “IETF Secretariat” Trademark

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 14:44:49 +0100

Dear all,

the Trustees of the IETF Trust decided at their meeting conducted on
June 12,
2014 to abandon the  “IETF Secretariat” trademark.  The action was taken
after
consulting with legal counsel, the community, and, as we still hold and
will maintain
the "IETF" trademark, concluding that the “IETF Secretariat” trademark
has no current or future value
to the community, and that the retention of the trademark requires an
expenditure of funds.

The action was taken in accordance with Article 7.1a of the Amended and
Restated
Trust Agreement, <http://trustee.ietf.org/trust-agreement-2014.html>.

Accordingly, the Trustees did not renew the “IETF Secretariat” trademark,
Registration 3860848, in the European Community, and will not renew the
“IETF Secretariat” trademark, Registration 2392833, in the United States
when
due on October 10, 2020.

Best regards,

Tobias Gondrom
Chair
IETF Trust