Subject: Re: Android and IPv6 was [Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard]

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:29:22 -0500

Fixed subject line. The original thread doesn't need any more noise.

On 12/12/14, 5:11 PM, "John R Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I have a Samsung SCH-S738C "Centura" phone running Android 4.0.4.  It
>>> does not support IPv6, and it's for sale all over the U.S.  It's not a
>>> bad phone for $40.
>>
>> Since Android 4.0 supported IPv6 ...

Please clarify:

Won't get an IPv6 address when placed on a proper IPv6-capable wifi
segment that does SLAAC, or won't do IPv6 over mobile, or you simply
haven't seen anything that proves it's doing those things? Note that in
this version of Android, you may need a third-party application or a
command line to see the IPv6 address on either Wifi or mobile interfaces
unless you're willing to capture packets as they go past on the network or
can find a website that confirms you're reaching it via IPv6, because it
didn't have any IPv6 stuff in the UI despite supporting it pretty well.
There's an app called Network Info II that will help with this.
The reason I ask is that the former is broken Android, whether
intentionally or not. The latter is mobile provider dependent, and it
makes a difference when asserting "I bought something for sale today that
doesn't support IPv6".

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.
-----------

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:18:00 -0500

George, Wes <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >>>> It does not support IPv6, and it's for sale all over the U.S.  It's
    >>>> not a bad phone for $40.
    >>> 

    > haven't seen anything that proves it's doing those things? Note that in

Android 4.0 does not believe it has network if it has only IPv6.
(This is sadly, not fixed in 4.4; there are some structural hassles to
testing it for many, thus hard to know if you succeded)

Android 4.0 certainly does work DualStack.

This is a result of not accepting DNS servers via RDNSS (nor DHCPv6), and
believing that it can not operate without DNS (which is probably logical).

    > supporting it pretty well.  There's an app called Network Info II that
    > will help with this.  The reason I ask is that the former is broken
    > Android, whether intentionally or not. The latter is mobile provider
    > dependent, and it makes a difference when asserting "I bought something
    > for sale today that doesn't support IPv6".

Whether Android works or not on IPv6-only over 3G, I can not speculate, as sadly, I
haven't got any way to test that.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32630

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 2014 05:19:35 -0000

>Android 4.0 certainly does work DualStack.

I believe you, but not on this phone.  On my home LAN, which is dual
stack, Chrome and my ssh client both connect over IPv6 when they're
running on my Nexus 7 tablet, over IPv4 on the cheap phone.

R's,
John