Subject: Last Call: <draft-pechanec-pkcs11uri-16.txt> (The PKCS#11 URI Scheme) to Proposed Standard: "x-" attribute use

From: Jan Pechanec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:43:50 -0800 (PST)

hi Björn, thank you for your feedback on the PKCS#11 URI 
Scheme draft.  The upcoming draft 17, attached, addresses your 
comment:

>One thing I noticed is that it uses "x-" prefixed vendor extensions;
>given BCP 178 there should probably be a rationale included in the
>document (the first draft predates the BCP by some years, so perhaps
>this is just documenting existing usage).

	the relevant changes are (please note that diff covers other 
unrelated changes as well):

@@ -188,11 +193,12 @@
                          pk11-model / pk11-lib-manuf /
                          pk11-lib-ver / pk11-lib-desc /
                          pk11-object / pk11-type / pk11-id /
-                         pk11-x-pattr
+                         pk11-slot-desc / pk11-slot-manuf /
+                         pk11-slot-id / pk11-v-pattr
   ; Query component and its attributes.  Query may be empty.
   pk11-qattr           = pk11-pin-source / pk11-pin-value /
                          pk11-module-name / pk11-module-path /
-                         pk11-x-qattr
+                         pk11-v-qattr

@@ -216,34 +222,41 @@
<...>
-  pk11-x-pattr         = "x-" 1*pk11-x-attr-nm-char "=" *pk11-pchar
-  pk11-x-qattr         = "x-" 1*pk11-x-attr-nm-char "=" *pk11-qchar
+  pk11-v-pattr         = 1*pk11-v-attr-nm-char "=" *pk11-pchar
+  pk11-v-qattr         = 1*pk11-v-attr-nm-char "=" *pk11-qchar

    The URI path component contains attributes that identify a resource
    in a one level hierarchy provided by Cryptoki producers.  The query
    component can contain a few attributes that may be needed to retrieve
-   the resource identified by the URI path.  Both path and query
-   components may contain vendor specific attributes.  Such attribute
-   names must start with an "x-" prefix.  Attributes in the path
+   the resource identified by the URI path.  Attributes in the path
    component are delimited by ';' character, attributes in the query
    component use '&' as a delimiter.

+   Both path and query components may contain vendor specific
+   attributes.  Such attribute names MUST NOT clash with existing
+   attribute names.  Note that in accordance with [BCP178], previously
+   used convention of starting vendor attributes with an "x-" prefix is
+   now depricated.

	regards, Jan.

-- 
Jan Pechanec <[email-masked]>