Subject: RFC 20 status change last call: References to appendices

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:38:00 +0000

Hi.

There are a number of references to "appendices" in this document  - 
Section 4.2 (footnotes 2 and 3) and Section 6.5, but the version of RFC 
20 available online at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc20.txt does not 
have any appendices.

It is possible that this is because the appendices were not reproduced 
when the document was put into machine readable form in 1999.  After 
some research, I suspect that in fact the references are to the 
appendices of the American National Standard (ANSI) X3.4-1968 - the 
references in the Section 4.2 footnotes to Appendices A5.2 and B4 almost 
certainly are.  I was unable to access a copy of the original 1968 
version of ANSI X3.4 (it appears that there are copies in the Library of 
Congress and the library at the University of Wisconsin but it's a long 
walk ;-) ). However, I found a facsimile of the 1986 version.  It is 
clear that Appendices A5.2 and B5 (as opposed to B4) contain relevant 
material (the 1977 update was apparently a very minor affair).

If indeed the second case is correct and the RFC document never had any 
appendices, I suggest that an addition is made to the colophon to point 
out where the appendices can be found, that is ANSI X3.4-1968.  This 
doesn't quite cover the wording in Section 6.5 - are we allowed to alter 
this to point to the appendices of   ANSI X3.4-1968?

If the original of RFC 20 did indeed contain these appendices, fixing 
the issue is a bit more tedious.

Happy New Year,
Elwyn