Subject: Re: Yet another tracking enhancement suggestion

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:21:02 +0100

* Michael StJohns wrote:
>Making the assumption that ID submissions are easy to parse for their 
>references - perhaps it might be useful for the submission tools to send 
>a note to the reference authors/point of contact that a draft dependent 
>on that reference is in progress?  And give a link for "track status" 
>subscriptions.

It sounds like that might generate a lot of noise for some people. But
it is indeed relatively simple to parse drafts for references (you can
grep for `rfcXXXX` and `draft-...` as a first step), and I could easily
imagine someone setting up, say, an Atom feed that would allow you to
keep track of documents according to some rules (like "references some-
thing I authored").
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:42:46 +0000

Bjoern Hoehrmann
> It sounds like that might generate a lot of noise for some people.

Scott Bradner would probably be top of that list. If still at his RFC 2119 email address.

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:32:22 -0600

I think this conversation should move to tools-discuss (and I've set the 
Reply-To for this message to that list).

A few thoughts -

* We're already parsing references. You can see them in the tracker by 
following the "References" and "Referenced By" links.

* As suggested already, we could make receiving this notification 
opt-in. One way would be to extend the community tracker application to 
support rules like "all documents that this document references" or "all 
documents that reference documents matching this regex"

* We can exclude nodes, like 2119, where notification would be noise. We 
do similar things already when preparing graphs like what you see at 
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/deps/pdf/>