Subject: Fwd: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

From: Hugo Maxwell Connery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:45:55 +0000

Hi,

I think that this is an excellent idea.  I have re-read the document
and it succinctly outlines the fallacies of weak/escrowed etc. crypto.

I can think of no better way for the IAB and IESG to respond to
cryptowars II than reissue their position from cryptowars I.

The publicity of the change may also enable people engaging
in cryptowars II to sum their positions simply as "read RFC1984".

Sincerely,  Hugo Connery
--
Head of IT, Dept Environmental Engineering, Tech. Uni. Denmark.

PS: I am sure that Postel would have grinned that the number he 
reserved for "the right time", got to bite a second time.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:13:06 -0700
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>

The IESG has received a request from an individual participant to make
the following status changes:

- RFC1984 from Informational to Best Current Practice
    (IAB and IESG Statement on Cryptographic Technology and the Internet)

The supporting document for this request can be found here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-rfc1984-to-best-current-practice/

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-09-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The affected document can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc1984/

IESG discussion of this request can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-rfc1984-to-best-current-practice/ballot/

_______________________________________________
perpass mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/perpass

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:24:46 -0700

> in cryptowars II to sum their positions simply as "read RFC1984".

hear, hear. There is also an interesting benefit of *not* changing the
text much if at all when updating it to BCP: it goes to show that this
sentiment is so timeless as to need little or not edits to be relevant
to the (unfortuante, in my opinion) ongoing and rather clueless policy
discussion.

best, Joe

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
[email-masked]
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871