Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-alakuijala-brotli-08.txt> (Brotli Compressed Data Format) to Informational RFC

From: Piotr Jurkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 01:56:24 +0100

This document requests a registration in the HTTP Content Coding 
Registry. Its authors proposed the 'br' token, which is an abbreviation 
of the algorithm name ('brotli').

However, by reviewing existing entries in the HTTP Content Coding 
Registry, you can notice that so far established convention is to use 
*full* algorithm name, rather than its abbreviation. For example:

- 'gzip' is used instead of 'gz'
- 'compress' is used instead of 'z'
- etc.

This convention is also respected by implementations when they create 
unofficial/non-standardized tokens. For example lighttpd and lynx 
support bzip2 compression and use 'bzip2' token for indicating it, 
rather than 'bz2' abbreviation.

I would urge to not break this convention and maintain the consistency, 
that is, to select and register 'brotli' as a HTTP Content Coding token 
for Brotli Compressed Data Format, instead the 'br' abbreviation.

(As IANA website says that Registration Procedure for HTTP Transfer 
Coding Registry is 'IETF Review', I assume that [email-masked] mailing 
list is the right place to raise these concerns. If not, please redirect 
me to a place where I would be able to reach people doing this review.)

Piotr Jurkiewicz
Department of Telecommunications
AGH University of Science and Technology
Kraków, Poland