Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-murchison-nntp-compress-05.txt> (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Extension for Compression) to Proposed Standard

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:47:10 +0200

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:44:12AM -0700,
 The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> - 'Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Extension for Compression'
>   <draft-murchison-nntp-compress-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

Good idea, I find the RFC simple and straightforward but I have one
question.

2.1 :

>     [S] COMPRESS DEFLATE X-SHRINK

Is the last capability a good example, giving RFC 6648?

7.1 :

> To avoid the risk of a clash with a future registered NNTP
> compression algorithm, the names of private compression algorithms
> SHOULD begin with "X-".

Same remark.

---

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 21:45:57 +0200

Hi Stéphane,

> Good idea, I find the RFC simple and straightforward but I have one

Thanks for having taken the time to read the document.

>> compression algorithm, the names of private compression algorithms

I agree that it should be changed somehow, as well as Section 2.2.3 
where X-SHRINK is also mentioned.

Suggestion:  using "SHRINK" instead of "X-SHRINK" as capability label, 
and just remove sentences about "X" or "X-" in Section 7.1.

Thanks again Stéphane for recalling the existence of RFC 6648.

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Ça n'a été qu'un coup de glaive dans l'eau. » (Astérix)