Subject: Education and Mentoring Directorate

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 22:17:53 -0700

The goals of the IETF Education and Mentoring Directorate are to enhance
the productivity of IETF work, expand diversity and inclusiveness of the
IETF, and enable the IETF to facilitate technical development and
innovation in the Internet.

In support of this goal, this directorate will structure and guide the
educational activities and associated materials to be more accessible,
relevant, reusable, and broadly understandable. The directorate shall
also help the mentoring activities to focus on the establishment of
relationships that enable productive participation in the IETF. Next,
this directorate will serve as a coordination function for IETF related
outreach activities, directed at participants, ensuring that related
activities are sufficiently coordinated and have the necessary
education and mentoring program support. Finally, the directorate
will work on improved metrics and measurements for assessing the
effectiveness of directorate activities. 

This directorate serves the General (GEN) area in IETF. The
participants include the project leaders of the defined education,
mentoring, and outreach coordination projects, the IESG and tools
liaisons to educational activities, the IETF chair, IETF executive
director, and additional members selected as needed. 

The initial projects identified by the directorate are: 

- Tutorials
- Online educational materials (content and organization) 
- Ongoing document maintenance (Tao, “About the IETF”, etc) 
- Newcomer’s Outreach (meet and greet, social dinner, emails) 
- WG Chairs Forum
- Mentoring 
- IETF Hubs 
- Assessment metrics and measurement

Success of these activities depends on support from the community.
Specific examples of volunteers currently needed: 

- Website reviewers 
- IETF Overview Document editors
- WG Chair Forum coordinator
- Configuring tutorials for better online access
- Online educational materials (content and organization) 

Please send email to Karen and the IETF Chair to volunteer! 

Jari Arkko
Karen O'Donoghue