Subject: Seeking IETF input for the future Aeronautical Telecommunications Network

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:14:52 +0000

This message is an open note to the flying public.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) (http://www.icao.int)
is responsible for establishing Standards and Recommended Practices for
worldwide civil aviation. ICAO is currently developing standards for an
Aeronautical Telecommunications Network based on Internet Protocol
Services (ATN/IPS) for the future worldwide Air Traffic Management
(ATM) system.

ATN/IPS is an IPv6-based service intended for Air Traffic Controller (ATC)
to pilot and other airline and operational safety-type communications.
The service must therefore provide the highest possible levels of security,
integrity and reliability even as aircraft move between different data link
attachment points. The service must also be affordable, highly available
and fault tolerant.

ICAO envisions an overlay network for secure and mobile IPv6 services
while leveraging existing infrastructure where possible for cost savings.
The ATN/IPS service will therefore require a simple core routing system
that can maintain pervasive IPv6 services even across mobility events. We
therefore offer this document titled:

 "A Simple BGP-based Mobile Routing System for the Aeronautical
  Telecommunications Network"

as a routing solution candidate. We welcome input from the flying public,
since the future ATN/IPS service will apply to long-term worldwide civil
aviation ATM services. We look forward to your comments.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 11:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-atn-bgp-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Simple BGP-based Mobile Routing System for the Aeronautical Telecommunications Network
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-atn-bgp-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2017-03-13

Abstract:
   The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is investigating
   mobile routing solutions for a worldwide Aeronautical
   Telecommunications Network with Internet Protocol Services (ATN/IPS).
   The ATN/IPS will eventually replace existing communication services
   with an IPv6-based service supporting pervasive Air Traffic
   Management (ATM) for Air Traffic Controllers (ATC), Airline
   Operations Controllers (AOC), and all commercial aircraft worldwide.
   This informational document describes a simple mobile routing service
   based on mature industry standards to address the ATN/IPS
   requirements.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-atn-bgp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-atn-bgp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt