Subject: www.ietf.org revamp project update

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:17:39 -0700

I wanted to provide a brief update on the www.ietf.org website revamp
project.

The project has moved forward. We're not quite done yet, and know
things that we still need to work on. But, we have started to collect 
more feedback on the designs. A preview will be available at IETF 98.

Also, Russ Housley recently took over from Joe Hildebrand as the 
project manager. Thank you! I also want to thank Joe for the work
he did to get the project to this point. 

Our current website has had a number of issues. For instance, every
time I write a blog article, several people complain that they can't read
it well on their mobile devices. The project will fix this, but also try to
otherwise improve the experience and usefulness of the website for both
participants and those who otherwise seek information about the IETF.
The website also needs to act as the ‘front door’ to the IETF, make it
easy to get involved, and help everyone understand what the IETF does.
The complete scope of the work is available at [1].

As part of the project, a Community Review Committee was established
to provide ongoing guidance. A preview was shown around IETF 93,
and an update last summer [2]. Since then, the revamped design has
been implemented on a development server provided by the selected
vendor (Torchbox, https://www.torchbox.com) using an open source
content management system (Wagtail, https://www.wagtail.io).

At IETF 98, we will be demonstrating the new web site at a table near IETF
meeting registration. Hours will be posted on a sign by the table. If you 
are here, we hope you will stop by to take a look and talk to us to help us
understand what would make the revamped site better for your work. The
critical aspect of the design is that your typical uses of the website are 
easily accessible, and we've found that the design team alone doesn't 
always know how you use the website. So feedback is appreciated, and 
will be acted upon. We've already gotten clear feedback from IESG 
members, and will be making modifications based on that.

For those not attending IETF 98, we’ll be arranging other opportunities,
including online, to review and provide feedback shortly after the
meeting.

Jari Arkko, IETF Chair

[1] https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETF-Website-SOW-20140604-Final.pdf
[2] https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/06/www-ietf-org-revamp-update/