Subject: Re: Grammatical corrections to the headers and boilerplate text

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 13:23:51 -0500

If I have read this properly, the revised paragraph does not appear in the Internet-Draft boilerplate.  Did I get that right?

Russ

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 12:46 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The IAB recently accepted an erratum <https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5248> that pointed out a grammatical error in the boilerplate text templates in RFC 7841.  While reviewing the erratum, we noticed a similar error in the text for non-standards-track IETF-stream RFCs and verified that the IESG was ok correcting that error as well.
> 
> The header and boilerplate text is now maintained on a web page, <https://www.iab.org/documents/headers-boilerplate>, and we have updated that page and requested update of the relevant tools maintained by the IETF.   If you have your own tools for the generation of this text, please update them to reflect the update text.
> 
> Robert Sparks
> for the IAB
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:15:27 -0600

Correct.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 21:29:39 +0100

>> The header and boilerplate text is now maintained on a web page, <https://www.iab.org/documents/headers-boilerplate>, and we have updated that page and requested update of the relevant tools maint…

I see <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/changeset/2410> - 
so Henrik was fast.

Trouble with changes like these is that it changes the output for 
*existing* documents.

I'd recommend to define a cutover date (such as March 1), and to 
continue to produce thee broken text for documens with a publication 
date before that day.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:46:06 -0600

On 2/9/18 2:29 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> If I have read this properly, the revised paragraph does not appear 
>> in the Internet-Draft boilerplate. Did I get that right?
>>
>> Russ
>>
>>> The IAB recently accepted an erratum 
>>> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5248> that pointed out a 
>>> grammatical error in the boilerplate text templates in RFC 7841.  
>>> While reviewing the erratum, we noticed a similar error in the text 
>>> for non-standards-track IETF-stream RFCs and verified that the IESG 
>>> was ok correcting that error as well.
>>>
>>> The header and boilerplate text is now maintained on a web page, 
>>> <https://www.iab.org/documents/headers-boilerplate>, and we have 
>>> updated that page and requested update of the relevant tools 
>>> maintained by the IETF.   If you have your own tools for the 
>>> generation of this text, please update them to reflect the update text.
>
> I see <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/changeset/2410> 
> - so Henrik was fast.
>
We considered that, and it would make sense for a more substantive 
change. For these simple grammatical corrections, incorporating the 
correction into any future produced RFCs seems more logical.