Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] BANGKOK SELECTED FOR IETF 103

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:49:13 -0500

IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > The IAOC is pleased to announce Bangkok, Thailand as the site
    > for IETF 103 from November 3 - 9, 2018.

    > This will be the IETF's first meeting in Bangkok.

Can you say if this was the original city/location for which there
difficulties in establishing the contract (but that we have now succeeded),
or is this a backup location?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 17:13:25 +0000

I just looked at the UK Government travel advice on Thailand:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

In summary:

The same medicine problems as Singapore
Zita
Political position unpredictable and sometimes volatile
No criticism of the 2014 military coup allowed
No criticism of the monarchy (which can be broadly interpreted) allowed
Not sure where we are meeting but central Bankcok to airport = three hours
Terrorist attacks

The US State department says look at the FAA site which questions their 
air travel safety.

Couldn't we have found somewhat a little less "adventurous"?

- Stewart

On 02/02/2018 16:11, IETF Administrative Director wrote:
> Portia Wenze-Danley
> Interim IETF Administrative Director
>
> _______________________________________________
> Recentattendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/recentattendees

---

From: Portia Wenze-Danley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:17:25 -0500

Hello -

> or is this a backup location?
Bangkok and the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park are the original location 
and hotel; however, we are thankful contract negotiations concluded 
yesterday with a signed agreement.  We appreciate everyone's patience 
and realize this process was much longer than usual.

---

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 09:29:57 -0800

Central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport) is more like 35 minutes when traffic isn't bad.  Three hours would be a horrific traffic jam.  IEEE 802 held a successful meeting in Bangkok in 2015 and taxis were plentiful and easy. 

It's really not that adventurous of a destination unless you want to make it one.  The IEEE 802 meeting was held at the Centara Grand Hotel attached to the CentralWorld mall.  If you never left the hotel and mall, you could almost imagine yourself in the US - lots of familiar chain stores and brands in sparkling clean environment.  I ventured out and never once regretted it.  Bangkok is a wonderous city to explore and is a fine destination for a meeting.

		-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stewart Bryant
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 9:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] BANGKOK SELECTED FOR IETF 103

In summary:

The same medicine problems as Singapore
Zita
Political position unpredictable and sometimes volatile No criticism of the 2014 military coup allowed No criticism of the monarchy (which can be broadly interpreted) allowed Not sure where we are meeting but central Bankcok to airport = three hours Terrorist attacks

The US State department says look at the FAA site which questions their air travel safety.

- Stewart

On 02/02/2018 16:11, IETF Administrative Director wrote:
> The IAOC is pleased to announce Bangkok, Thailand as the site for IETF 
> 103 from November 3 - 9, 2018.
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:05:59 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018, Peter Yee wrote:

> Central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport) 
> is more like 35 minutes when traffic isn't bad.  Three hours would 
> be a horrific traffic jam.  IEEE 802 held a successful meeting in 
> Bangkok in 2015 and taxis were plentiful and easy.
> 
> It's really not that adventurous of a destination unless you want to 
> make it one.  The IEEE 802 meeting was held at the Centara Grand 
> Hotel attached to the CentralWorld mall.  If you never left the 
> hotel and mall, you could almost imagine yourself in the US - lots 
> of familiar chain stores and brands in sparkling clean environment.  
> I ventured out and never once regretted it.  Bangkok is a wonderous 
> city to explore and is a fine destination for a meeting.
> 
> 		-Peter
> 

Just to add to Peter's points:

* The IEEE 802.11 Group is meeting at the same venue the week 
  following IETF 103, see: 
  http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html

* With respect to terror attacks, I'd consider London more dangerous 
  these days, not that your gov.uk site would tell you so.

* With respect to political speech, criticism of the King and other 
  related matters, I think that probably falls into the category of 
  "outside the scope of normal IETF discourse," but it might be worth 
  checking this out before departing for London:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-strangest-weird-laws-enforced-christopher-sargeant-sturgeon-armour-a7232586.htm

.... I particularly love:  "No person shall, in the course of a 
business, import into England, potatoes which he knows, or has 
reasonable cause to suspect, are from Poland."

You have been warned.

Ole

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:11:24 -0500

I’ve been to Bangkok several times, and have enjoyed both the city and the
food. The airport is one of the most modern and well-connected in the
world. I highly recommend taking temple and canal tours. I’m usually not
one for organized tours, but here, it’s well worth it.

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Peter Yee <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport) is
> more like 35 minutes when traffic isn't bad.  Three hours would be a
> horrific traffic jam.  IEEE 802 held a successful meeting in Bangkok in
> 2015 and taxis were plentiful and easy.
>
> It's really not that adventurous of a destination unless you want to make
> it one.  The IEEE 802 meeting was held at the Centara Grand Hotel attached
> to the CentralWorld mall.  If you never left the hotel and mall, you could
> almost imagine yourself in the US - lots of familiar chain stores and
> brands in sparkling clean environment.  I ventured out and never once
> regretted it.  Bangkok is a wonderous city to explore and is a fine
> destination for a meeting.
>
>                 -Peter
>
> Political position unpredictable and sometimes volatile No criticism of
> the 2014 military coup allowed No criticism of the monarchy (which can be
> broadly interpreted) allowed Not sure where we are meeting but central
> Bankcok to airport = three hours Terrorist attacks
>

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:23:26 -0500

> reasonable cause to suspect, are from Poland."

Tom Scott and Matt Gray (who always make me giggle like a maniac)
decided to do 10 illegal things in London -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGifTou5FE&t=6s

This included the infamous "handling a salmon in suspicious
circumstances", but, sadly, not the importation of Polish potatoes
(which had a good reason originally).

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 05:42:52 +0900

portia,

thank you, the iaoc, and the secretariat for the skill and perseverance
to negotiate the bangkok venue in a business culture a bit different
than the one to which the american-biased (in the statistical sense)
ietf admin culture is used.  i have been to many conferences there, and
they were all logistically excellent.  it is also a great city,
wonderful cuisine, fantastic culture, ...

i know it was tough.  thanks.

randy

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:45:35 -0500

+1

Spent a couple of my honeymoon in Bangkok while we on our way to Ko Samui.  It’ll be nice to go back.

spt

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 15:42, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> portia,
>

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:47:32 -0800

+1

As Randy said, it's great to see that we've got the flexibility to make
this happen.

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:50:24 -0800

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Richard Barnes <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> +1
> 
> As Randy said, it's great to see that we've got the flexibility to make this happen.

I agree.  It’s also good to have IETF meetings slated to be in Asia, actually in Asia.

Bob

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 13:31:55 -0800

I nearly fell of my chair when I noticed a lot of conversation about
this announcement, but no one was complaining about the use of ALL CAPS.
-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:40:51 -0600

> this announcement, but no one was complaining about the use of ALL CAPS.

You're right, Wes.   We really dropped the ball on this one.

BTW, despite my concerns about lese majeste, this is a pretty cool outcome.

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 22:15:10 +0000

> BTW, despite my concerns about lese majeste, this is a pretty cool outcome.

We should pull some volunteers together to write a draft about this.
We're all experts on user interface stuff here on ietf@, so there's no
reason not to have a solid informational rfc in place to help share our
expertise with the ietf admin people. Speaking of rfcs, xml to nroff
would make a great candidate mechanism for handling this, so if someone
could set up xml2announcement.ietf.org, we can get the ball rolling.
Probably we won't need a full working group to define a suitable xml
vocabulary, but we can take that step down the road if necessary.

Nick

---

From: Pat Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 16:24:25 -0800

>   http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html

It's actually an IEEE 802 Plenary meeting so the whole of IEEE 802 will be
meeting there - a lot nicer for those of us who attend both than spending
the weekend getting from Orlando, Florida to Singapore.

Regards,
Pat

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Feb 2018 14:49:13 -0500

My friend B1FF says it's OK.
R's,
John