Subject: mail archive changes

From: Ryan Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 09:36:32 -0700

Hi,

The latest release of the “new” IETF mail archive, https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/ <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/>, includes a “Static Mode”.  This mode is for those who prefer the MHonArc interface for browsing a list.  You can enable / disable Static Mode via the settings menu at the top right.  When enabled, the user will see familiar MHonArc style pages when browsing a list.  Browse a list by entering the list name in the search field, or selecting a list from the browse page.  These pages are cached to improve responsiveness.  Also, as an improvement to the MHonArc interface, the URLs include a date part, that can be hacked to jump to a specific month.

Regards,
Ryan

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:16:07 -0400

Thank you so much for this feature.

Ryan Cross <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > The latest release of the “new” IETF mail archive,
    > https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/, includes a “Static Mode”. This mode
    > is for those who prefer the MHonArc interface for browsing a list. You
    > can enable / disable Static Mode via the settings menu at the top
    > right. When enabled, the user will see familiar MHonArc style pages
    > when browsing a list. Browse a list by entering the list name in the
    > search field, or selecting a list from the browse page. These pages are
    > cached to improve responsiveness. Also, as an improvement to the
    > MHonArc interface, the URLs include a date part, that can be hacked to
    > jump to a specific month.

You didn't tell me how you wanted feedback, so I'm reply-all :-)

I first turned it on, did a search for "roll", and yup, it sure looks like
MHonArc to me, and it also seems as fast as Mhonarc.
I then turned off static mode, and I returned to the mailarchive mode,
and I tried a search, but it searched inside that list only (probably the
right behaviour).  Wondering for a bit how to search everywhere, I clicked on
"Mailarchive" in the banner, went back to the top level and entered a search
term. (Actually, just accepted a previous search term, which happened to be
a person's name)

I got a bunch of emails from various lists, and I picked one, and then
wondered how to see any thread associated with it.  I clicked on settings
and turned static back on, and nothing happened.  I looked for links in the
message display, found none.

I then tried a different search term, and found a message in the ROLL
WG, and I then found that I could click on the links at the bottom to
see the thread view.  That's AWESOME.

So my only complaint is that if there is no thread, those links do not
show up.  (The first message was an ID announcement) It should probably say,
"no thread", and maybe the indicate of how many messages are in the thread
should go at the top of the message (next to Show Headers).

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-