Subject: Discontinuing the mhonarc archives January 14

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 13:49:58 -0600

We will be discontinuing Mhonarc during the day on Monday Jan 14.

As noted below, all existing Mhonarc URLs will redirect to the same 
message in mailarch.

The mbox files available through rsync will continue to be available.

On 11/26/18 2:54 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> The current plan is to discontinue Mhonarc in early January.
>
> Please continue to exercise the mailarch system and report issues as 
> below.
>
> On 10/3/18 1:19 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
>> There have been several improvements to the mailarch tool recently.
>>
>> If you haven't already discovered it, please try out the new "Static 
>> Mode",
>> particularly if you frequently use the Mhonarc archives.
>>
>> See, for example, 
>> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/>.
>>
>> To get this view by default when browsing lists, set "Static Mode On" 
>> in the
>> Settings menu at top right of the page. This preference is stored in 
>> a cookie.
>>
>> Also note that the speed of searching a list, and searching across 
>> multiple lists
>> has been significantly improved. The use of whitespace and fonts have 
>> also been
>> adjusted.
>>
>> We are working towards a single copy of the archived mail list 
>> messages. Currently,
>> mailarch and IMAP work from the same files, but MonArch uses a 
>> separate set of files
>> in another format.
>>
>> We plan to discontinue the use of Mhonarc soon, likely between IETF 
>> 103 and 104.
>> When we make that change, all exising URLs into the Mhonarc archives 
>> will redirect
>> to the same message in mailarch as discussed in section 2.7 of RFC6778.
>>
>> Please exercise the mailarch system. If you find issues, report them at
>> <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> and choose the
>> "MailArchive: User Interface Component". Alternatively, you can send 
>> mail
>> to [email-masked].

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 19:59:47 +0000

> The mbox files available through rsync will continue to be available.

Robert,

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/robots.txt includes "Disallow: /", which 
means that the entire mailarch repository is unavailable on regular 
search engines.

This was reported in ietfdb ticket 2658.

Are there plans to fix this before mhonarc is discontinued?  It would be 
hugely regressive for ietf mailing lists to be cut off from regular 
internet searches.

Nick

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 09:29:40 -0600

Thanks for the nudge, Nick. Some conversations started before the end of 
the year had not run to conclusion.

The robots.txt file has been changed, and some things put in place to 
help the spiders find all the messages.

RjS

On 1/8/19 1:59 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Are there plans to fix this before mhonarc is discontinued?  It would 
> be hugely regressive for ietf mailing lists to be cut off from regular 
> internet searches.
>
> Nick
>