Subject: travel funds for ietf for the next SCE talk?

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:53:47 +0200

Several members of the open source "bufferbloat.net" group do
regularly participate in ietf mailing lists and remote meetings, but
it is rare that any of us
can actually afford to attend IETF. In fact, we've had no travel
budget for 3 years running. I'd mostly reduced my involvement to BABEL
after the AQM wg closed, and that remotely only.

This past IETF, we had to hold a bake sale on the bloat mailing list
as well as melt all my credit cards in order to get our new SCE "Some
Congestion Experienced" AQM concept in front of the tsvwg and iccrg
working groups in contrast to the cablelabs dualpi proposal.

(if anyone cares, the TSVWG talk and slides are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmWyr0JDJM&t=1h3m50s ) -

The controversy in the open source community, covered here:
https://lwn.net/Articles/783673/

We've been *very strongly encouraged* to present again at the upcoming
ietf in montreal, but I'm now in no position to sponsor the 2-3 core
people again that need to present the follow-on results in the 5 or so
related wgs. Is there an org, a fund, a means, a way, to get a bunch
of rather poor, but innovative, open source devs and theorist, out
there, that we can apply to? raise the ~9k needed? isoc? Something?

(and if it were possible i'd rather like to have what I had had to
spend back, so I can pour it into recreating a network testbed for
this work. I'm not planning to attend, myself. The one trip alone
wiped out ecn-sane's budget for the year)

-- 

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
Co-Founder, Bufferbloat.net
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 08:50:40 -0700

[ most cc:s dropped ]

i'll toss in enough united miles for someone's north american ticket.

my SO is traveling with, so i can not offer a free room share.  sorry.

randy

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 18:12:11 +0200

> my SO is traveling with, so i can not offer a free room share.  sorry.

Thank you Randy. Jonathan is based in Finland, but this is a start.

-- 

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 09:45:25 -0700

> On Apr 28, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [ most cc:s dropped ]

Thats a nice idea! Me too.. (well, i’m ecumenical - American not United)
-john

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:32:55 +0000

Hi Dave,

Thanks for bring this work to the IETF. Yes, I would also like to encourage you to discuss your proposal in TSVWG using the mailing list and eventually present this work at the next TSVWG meeting. However, there is not required to participate in-person. We frequently have remote presentations and from my experience that works well. I’m sure the TSVWG chairs can further advise you on this.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Network Architecture & Protocols, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------