Subject: Re: Nomcom 2019-2020 Call For Volunteers

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 13:10:41 -0400

On 5/29/2019 9:06 PM, NomCom Chair 2019 wrote:
>
> As a member of the NomCom it is very important that you be able to attend IETF 106 (Singapore) to conduct interviews. Being at IETF 105 (Montreal) is useful for orientation.  Being at IETF 107 (Vancouver) is not essential.
>
We probably need to try to have the 3rd meeting of the year rotate 
among  Asia, Europe and North America to make Nomcom a bit more evenly 
accessible.  Singapore will be 5 in a row for Asia. Before that it was 3 
for NA, 3 for Asia and then a very long string of NA locations.

Strangely, looking at the record of past meetings, we've never in 35+ 
years had the 3rd IETF meeting of the year in Europe.

Mike

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 15:03:36 -0400

Michael StJohns <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> As a member of the NomCom it is very important that you be able to
    >> attend IETF 106 (Singapore) to conduct interviews. Being at IETF 105
    >> (Montreal) is useful for orientation.  Being at IETF 107 (Vancouver) is
    >> not essential.

    > We probably need to try to have the 3rd meeting of the year rotate among 
    > Asia, Europe and North America to make Nomcom a bit more evenly accessible. 
    > Singapore will be 5 in a row for Asia. Before that it was 3 for NA, 3 for
    > Asia and then a very long string of NA locations.

I tried hard to make this point when I was a nomcom member, and then nomcom
chair, and I specifically warned against the November meeting being in
Honolulu. (Or the Honolulu meeting being in November)   I don't feel very listened to.

    > Strangely, looking at the record of past meetings, we've never in 35+ years
    > had the 3rd IETF meeting of the year in Europe.

Weird, eh.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 19:12:23 +0000

Times change, and Cassandra could have been wrong then but is right now.