Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-cms-hash-sig-08

From: Joe Clarke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 06:41:35 -0700

Reviewer: Joe Clarke
Review result: Ready

I have been assigned to review this document as part of the ops directorate. 
This document describes conventions for using the HSS/LMS with CMS.  Overall,
this document is well-written, and I appreciate the considerations around
signing size and computation in the introduction.  This will help operators
properly evaluate the use of this algorithm.  I did find a few small nits.  One
thing that struck me on the first read is that you have to get to the
Introduction before HSS/LMS are expanded whereas CMS is expanded in the
abstract.  Might I suggest you expand HSS and LMS in the abstract as well?

Other nits:

Abstract:

s/for using the the HSS/LMS/for using the HSS/LMS/

===

Section 2.3:

s/When this object identifier is used for a HSS/LMS/When this object identifier
is used for an HSS/LMS/

===

Section 6:

s/cause an one-time key/cause a one-time key/

s/When generating a LMS key pair/When generating an LMS key pair/

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 10:32:41 -0400

Joe:

Thanks for the careful review.

> Review result: Ready

Good to hear.

> abstract.  Might I suggest you expand HSS and LMS in the abstract as well?

I have done so:

   This document specifies the conventions for using the Hierarchical
   Signature System (HSS) / Leighton-Micali Signature (LMS) hash-based
   signature algorithm with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  In
   addition, the algorithm identifier and public key syntax are
   provided.  The HSS/LMS algorithm is one form of hash-based digital
   signature; it is described in RFC 8554.

I have also expanded it in the first sentence of the Introduction.

> s/for using the the HSS/LMS/for using the HSS/LMS/

No longer relevant with the revised Abstract above.

> s/When this object identifier is used for a HSS/LMS/When this object identifier

This is in Section 3, right?  If so, fixed.

> s/When generating a LMS key pair/When generating an LMS key pair/

Both fixed.

Russ

---

From: "Joe Clarke (jclarke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:12:46 +0000

Thanks for all the fixes, Russ.

Joe

> On Jul 18, 2019, at 10:32, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Joe:
>