Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] why are we reinventing mta-sts ?

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 06:35:24 -0700

Hi Daniel,
At 01:04 PM 07-10-2019, Daniel Margolis wrote:
>I'm interested to hear more about those situations.
>
>It seems like the primary concerns with additional costs associated 
>with MTA-STS are
>
>* the cost of buying a CA-signed cert (but what about Let's Encrypt?)
>* the cost of hosting your own HTTP server if you are in a hosted environment
>* the cost of hosting an HTTP server if you are hosting your own MTA
>
>Depending on the level of automation, I think the extra effort 
>required by MTA-STS ranges from "none" to, unfortunately, "some." 
>But I don't fully understand the scenario where it's a significant 
>economic burden beyond the basic cost of hosting an MTA. Can someone 
>help explain this better?

The mail service depends on a DNS service and a web service.  The 
system requires two CA-signed certificates.  The person responsible 
for all that will have to assess the extra effort.

I came across the following thread: 
https://support.google.com/mail/thread/10350042  The people on this 
mailing list can probably sort out such issues.  Whether the audience 
out there can do that is an open question.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy