Subject: Fwd: Request to mailing list Add rejected

From: Rob Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:14:45 +0700

Hi all,

I sent what I thought was an on-topic message to [email-masked].

It seems to have been rejected because the AD wants to issue some sort of
PR message.

This action was not difficult to anticipate, so I also CCed
[email-masked].

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2019Oct/0000.html

thanks,
Rob

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:03 PM
Subject: Request to mailing list Add rejected
To: <[email-masked]>

Your request to the Add mailing list

    Posting of your message titled "IETF 106 BoF: ABCD"

has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
following reason for rejecting your request:

"This is a proposal the IESG is floating, and I (Barry) put it in the
BoF wiki for now.  I will be posting a message about it to the ADD
list later today, so I'd rather hold your message until after that.
Please feel free to respond to my message when it comes out."

Any questions or comments should be directed to the list administrator
at:

    [email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 08:26:57 +1300

I was a bit surprised to notice that https://www.ietf.org/how/lists/nonwglist-guidelines/ doesn't say anything about whether non-WG lists should or should not be moderated. 

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 09-Oct-19 04:14, Rob Sayre wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I sent what I thought was an on-topic message to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.
> 
> It seems to have been rejected because the AD wants to issue some sort of PR message.
> 
> This action was not difficult to anticipate, so I also CCed [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.
> 
> From: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> 
> 
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 15:34:13 -0700

Hi Rob,
>This action was not difficult to anticipate, so I also CCed 

I assume that you are already subscribed to the mailing list.  It is 
unusual that the mailing list is moderated.  There isn't anything 
about the mailing list being moderated in the information provided 
about the mailing list.  The action would likely be a surprise.

DNS resolution is a hot topic because of scrutiny plans by a 
government.  There may be reasons to keep the discussions within 
appropriate boundaries.  In my opinion, it is not a good idea to 
block messages in the absence of public information about the 
boundaries.  The moderator(s) might wish to take the scrutiny plans 
into consideration for the current case.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Rob Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 10:19:21 +0700

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> unusual that the mailing list is moderated.
>

I knew the list was moderated. What surprised me was that my message was
rejected.

All I did was search for "ietf singapore bof". The BoF description that I
objected to turned up on the first page of results. It's not like I was
digging in around in content that was supposed to be private.

thanks,
Rob

---

From: Rob Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 12:31:01 +0700

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 2:27 AM Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I was a bit surprised to notice that
> https://www.ietf.org/how/lists/nonwglist-guidelines/ doesn't say anything
> about whether non-WG lists should or should not be moderated.
>

Does it really matter? It's not like the IETF follows its own rules in
high-pressure situations. FWIW, I think it was a good idea to moderate the
ADD list. There were a lot of personal attacks and other flames going on.
To me, this is just the latest occurrence in the IETF's long tradition of
DNS mailing list moderation[1]. :)

thanks,
Rob

[1] https://cr.yp.to/djbdns/namedroppers.html

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 19:51:10 -0700

> about the mailing list.  The action would likely be a surprise.

See https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/add/rmy4A9_Y826W6xG_nM7MBjSfhV8
for information about the mailing list being moderated.

-Ben