Subject: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-mboned-ieee802-mcast-problems-09

From: Kyle Rose via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 20:32:53 -0700

Reviewer: Kyle Rose
Review result: Has Nits

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area directors.
 Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other
last call comments.

I marked this "ready with nits" because I see no serious security or privacy
considerations, but I'm confused by the wording in section 7, which begins:

q( This section will provide some recommendations about the usage and
combinations of the multicast enhancements described in Section 4 and Section
5. )

and then proceeds to provide little in the way of such recommendations. Maybe
the phrasing here is just awkward?

Nits:

Reference dot11aa
(https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.11aa-2012.pdf) gives me a
404. Maybe I simply lack the appropriate decoder ring?

The IETF meeting network is referenced three times in section 5.1. For example,

q( The distribution of users on wireless networks / subnets changes from one
IETF meeting to the next (e.g SSIDs are renamed, some SSIDs lose favor, etc). 
This makes utilization for particular SSIDs difficult to predict ahead of time,
but usage can be monitored as attendees use the different networks. )

This feels like a non-sequitur. Maybe some introductory text about using the
IETF meetings as an exemplar would make this read a little better, but it seems
like the advice to operators here should be generic and not connected to
particular goals for network connectivity at IETF meetings.