Subject: An update on next steps on RFC Editor model evolution.

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 21:58:28 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

In a series of meetings leading up to and at IETF 106, the Internet 
technical community was asked about the process to use in considering a 
further evolution of the RFC Editor model.  The apparent consensus of 
those interactions, as judged by the current RFC Series Editor, was that 
an open IAB program is the most appropriate vehicle available.  The 
outcomes of each of these meetings and the resulting process proposal is 
summarized in draft-flanagan-rseme, but one key point is:

    The program should be modeled closely on an IETF working group
    [BCP25], using a mailing list to validate consensus among the
    participants, and adhering to the IETF Note Well [BCP78] [BCP79].
    Decisions are expected to be made using rough consensus; consensus
    will be called by the chairs, and any appeals will be handled by the
    IAB.[RFC7282].

Like an IETF working group, this program will have completely open 
participation.

At its most recent meeting, which was the first after IETF 106, the IAB 
agreed to develop a program in line with this proposal. Charter text for 
community review will be circulated to the [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> mailing list within the next few 
weeks; we encourage you to subscribe to that list if you wish to 
participate in the charter discussion.  We expect the comment period to 
span the holiday period into the new year.

A separate mailing list will be created for the program once the charter 
has been finalized.  Volunteers to serve as chairs will also be 
solicited after the charter is final.

If you have questions on the process going forward, please do not 
hesitate to send them to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

best regards,

Ted Hardie
for the IAB