Subject: List of designated experts?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 15:27:10 +0100

Many IANA registries require a "designated expert" (RFC 8126, section
5). IANA indicates his/her name in the registry (for instance
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/c-dns/c-dns.xml#c-dns-response-flags>.)

But is there a list of all designated experts somewhere, or should I
parse the XML files of all registries (after talking with my lawyer
about personal data processing)?

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:37:32 -0500

Stephane,

You can go to https://www.iana.org/protocols and search for the word
"expert". Or you can ask [email-masked].

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:45:01 +0100

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:37:32AM -0500,
 Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> "expert".

A better solution is to loop over registries and to parse the XML but
I'm lazy and was looking for an existing list, if there is one.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:59:39 -0500

Stephane,

That's why I also recommended directly asking IANA.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 17:27:32 +0100

> I'm lazy and was looking for an existing list, if there is one.

media-types/application/vnd.paos.xml is broken; ignoring that, try

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'rexml/document'
experts = Dir["./**/*.xml"].flat_map { |fn|
  REXML::XPath.match(REXML::Document.new(File.read(fn)), 
    "//expert").map { |x| x.text } rescue fn }
puts experts

in a directory that was rsynced from rsync.iana.org::assignments
Sorry, no optimization; takes 36 s on my laptop.

Maybe send output through `sort | uniq -c` (or write the equivalent Ruby code).
I was too lazy to write a parser for the approximately twelve different ways in which a primary/secondary split is indicated.

The crown goes to a guy called “Unassigned” (341 registries), with
  33 Russ Housley
  34 Margaret Wasserman
  34 Roman Danyliw, Takeshi Takahashi
  37 Joe Macker
as runner-ups (Russ has a few more where he is primary).

I was surprised by the number of registries my name is on :-)

Grüße, Carsten