Subject: A comment from lockdown

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 10:21:28 +1300

Hi all,

I'd just like to send on a snippet from a close relative who is, like me, subject to New Zealand's COVID-19 lockdown. I think that by "you guys" she means a great many people, only some of whom are on this list (and clearly my own part in this was minute):

> Hey Brian didn't you guys do a great thing getting the internet up so we all can keep connected!

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:48:35 -0500

Hi, Brian,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd just like to send on a snippet from a close relative who is, like me,
> subject to New Zealand's COVID-19 lockdown. I think that by "you guys" she
> means a great many people, only some of whom are on this list (and clearly
> my own part in this was minute):
>

And it's worth noting that women were in the IETF Greybeards picture taken
a couple of years ago, so "you guys" is genderless in this case :-)

Spencer

---

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:44:47 -0400

On 3/27/2020 5:48 PM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
> "you guys" is genderless in this case

While I definitely try and avoid it recognizing the gender concerns, you
guys is a northeastern American phrase that is in reality a gender-less
group identifier equivalent to the southern American, "y'all" or worse
yet, "all y'all".  I have a family member that consistently uses "y'all
guys".  I have no explanation for that beyond what is clearly
geographical displacement issues.

Stay safe everyone,

KAM

-- 
*Kevin A. McGrail*
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

703-798-0171 (wireless)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail

---

From: Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 11:11:18 +0000

I'll take this opportunity to say thank you to the pioneers and those 
who came after in the same spirit to create and manage the Internet. 
This is a time when the call "Internet for Everyone" can be clearly 
appreciated.

Still lots to do though....

C