Subject: IETF Calendar

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:26:11 -0400

Hi -

Publishing .ics files worked pretty well when the IETF was all in one 
week. I'm wondering if its time to stand up a calendaring server 
(read-only of course) that we can just subscribe to given our dependence 
on virtual and randomly timed interim WG meetings for the foreseeable 
future?  [Triggered by the CFRG VWG announcement].  I wouldn't stop the 
emails, but it would be helpful to have a one stop shopping location for 
WG session info.

And note - I'm not suggesting this happen tomorrow or this week - our IT 
folks are already stretched trying to make the current VMeeting viable 
and don't need additional things on their plate right now.

Thanks - Mike

---

From: Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:44:42 +0100

+1 I was just talking to some other folks and telling them I find it hard
to keep track currently of what is when so I would very much like this idea.
Else the WG chairs could perhaps send out calendar invites.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:53:38 -0500

On 3/23/2020 11:26 AM, Michael StJohns wrote:
> (read-only of course) that we can just subscribe to given our 
> dependence on virtual and randomly timed interim WG meetings for the 
> foreseeable future?

A "read-only calendaring server" is simply a web server that serves up a 
"text/calendar" file formatted according to RFC 5545. And we have that. 
If you go into your calendaring app right now and subscribe to a new 
calendar using the URL 
"https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.ics", you will get 
exactly what you're asking for.

/a

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:00:00 -0400

On 3/23/2020 12:53 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
> A "read-only calendaring server" is simply a web server that serves up 
> a "text/calendar" file formatted according to RFC 5545. And we have 
> that. If you go into your calendaring app right now and subscribe to a 
> new calendar using the URL 

Thanks - that location was not obvious.  Easy to find once you pointed 
it out.

Mike

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 08:56:59 +1300

On 24-Mar-20 05:44, Melchior Aelmans wrote:
...
> Else the WG chairs could perhaps send out calendar invites.

Please please please don't do that. Calendar invites are handled differently by different calendar programs, some of which respond virally by repeating the invite back to the list. Also time zone handling doesn't seem to work universally for some reason.

I've been a victim (using the Thunderbird calendar), but not the only one.

   Brian

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 2020 16:39:42 -0400

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>Please please please don't do that. 

Agreed, particularly since there is no point to doing so.  If you
subscribe to the meeting calendar, the sessions are all there:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.ics

R's,
John

PS: I've been hacking up subscribable calendars for a group I run.  I
Despite the vast quantities of high-quality specifications, a
remarkable amount of stuff is still folklore, starting with where you
put the name of the calendar.