Subject: How about the IETF 107 T-Shirts ?

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:49:12 +0100

In case (as i am assuming), these have already been printed,

How can we get them ?

Please don't tell me they can be picked up in a landfill somewhere
like the first electric cars...

I can drive to the LLC if that's where they are ;-))

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:54:25 -0400

Keep them for Madrid which will now be IETF 107.

Of course, now that I have pointed that out, a virtual IETF may well be
inescapable even if it is only a proforma virtual plenary.

That would address John's point about seating the new IESG.

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 00:04:43 +0100

Bring them to Madrid.

Only if you participate in the next Madrid meeting, you can get them ;-)

El 11/3/20 23:50, "ietf en nombre de Toerless Eckert" <[email-masked] en nombre de [email-masked]> escribió:

    How can we get them ?

    
    Cheers
        Toerless

**********************************************
IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 16:17:26 -0700

But these T-shirts were paid by the IETF.  So bring them to Madrid, but people should pay for them unless they donated the Vancouver fee.

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: https://marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 00:50:57 +0100

I’m not sure T-shirts are our biggest problem right now, but somebody is wrong on the internet, so I have no choice:

> On 2020-03-12, at 00:17, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> But these T-shirts were paid by the IETF.

The T-shirts (if they even have been produced by now) are usually paid by the host, and are typically delivered directly from the shirt printer to the venue.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 22:20:16 -0400

--On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 18:54 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Of course, now that I have pointed that out, a virtual IETF
> may well be inescapable even if it is only a proforma virtual
> plenary.
> 

Just my opinion, but I don't think you can have it both ways.
If the new IESG (and so on) are seated this month, as I think we
are all expecting it will be, then that is IETF 107, no matter
how virtual.

I hope the IESG could then do some fancy footwork to allow those
who have been proud of perfect, or near-perfect, attendance
records for many years of IETF meetings to claim attendance at
IETF 107.   Perhaps the combination of having registered and
paid the registration fee (even if it was later refunded) and
remotely attending the plenary as a participant would be a
reasonable formula, but I trust we can count on the IESG to come
up with something reasonable.

As to the shirts themselves if they are printed already, I'd
hope the LLC and the sponsor could arrange to have them shipped
to California, that they could be appropriately overprinted with
"not in" before "Vancouver" and/or "Virtual" or "Cancelled" in
some appropriate locations, and that the Secretariat (or
sometone contracted by the LLC) could then sell them at a
premium price, perhaps offering a discount to anyone who had
registered and paid the registration fee.  If they haven't been
printed yet, perhaps a press run of nicely-designed shirts
saying "IETF 107: Somewhere in Cyberspace" or equivalent.   The
sale price for the shirts could help the LLC reduce the deficit
caused by canceling the meeting, even of only very slightly.

I think I'm joking about the above, by I'm not sure.

But I do sincerely hope that, of all of the problems this
cancellation will cause and issues it will raise, the situation
with the T-Shirts will turn out, in the long run. to be the
worst and most complicated.

best,
    john

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 04:20:11 +0100

Haha, love the idea.

So at IETF108, there should be a booth with a small variety of
stamps "Cancelled", "Corona", "Virtualized",  "not in"
etc. and a couple of colours, and each of us can do one's own
customized IEF107 shirt.

Maybe cut-outs instead of stamps and spray can's.
Not sure whats most easy/best on t-shirts.

+1 on your hope for solutions of the other outstanding issues.
I just wanted to get away from the corona discussion.

Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:31:01 -0400

> etc. and a couple of colours, and each of us can do one's own

I was hoping that the shirts could be made available,
appropriately modified, by mail order rather than requiring
showing up at IETF 108, because anyone who participates in IETF
107 remotely is fully as much of a participant, and hence
entitled to obtain a T-Shirt, in that meeting as anyone else.
Whether it would also be good to sell them at IETF 108 (assuming
that occurs in person), I am happy to leave to the good judgment
and business expertise of the ExecDir and/or LLC Board.  :-) 

> I just wanted to get away from the corona discussion.

Me too, and in that sense I'm glad you started the thread.  

I think the real message from both of us may be that it is time
to lighten up a bit on both daily or hourly coronavirus details
and trying to re-evaluate or review the cancellation decision
and its implications.  Many of us have lots of substantive
technical work to do in the IETF.   Can we get back to it
without feeling a need to read every one of these many, many,
messages in the fear that one of them might be important or even
the hope that one might be amusing?

thanks,
   john

>> hope the LLC and the sponsor could arrange to have them
>> shipped to California, that they could be appropriately
>> overprinted with "not in" before "Vancouver" and/or "Virtual"
>> or "Cancelled" in some appropriate locations, and that the
>> Secretariat (or sometone contracted by the LLC) could then
>> sell them at a premium price, perhaps offering a discount to
>> anyone who had registered and paid the registration fee.  If
>> they haven't been printed yet, perhaps a press run of
>> nicely-designed shirts saying "IETF 107: Somewhere in
>> Cyberspace" or equivalent.   The sale price for the shirts
>> could help the LLC reduce the deficit caused by canceling the
>> meeting, even of only very slightly.
>> 
>> cancellation will cause and issues it will raise, the
>> situation with the T-Shirts will turn out, in the long run.
>> to be the worst and most complicated.
>> 
>> best,
>>     john

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:38:42 -0700

John,

> On Mar 11, 2020, at 7:20 PM, John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> 

I published the tentative agenda for 6MAN w.g. earlier today, I called it the:

  Virtual Vancouver IETF 107 Meeting

Bob

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 04:49:42 +0100

As a user of the VIM editor since its inception (90'th sometimes)
i would of course like to see this compressed to VIM107
(Virtual IETF Meeting)

Cheers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 07:14:12 +0100

On 2020-03-12, at 04:49, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> VIM107

EMACS107 (now I have to come up with a retronym, but I’ll outsource this to this list).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 05:36:40 -0700

I stand corrected.

---

From: Joseph Potvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 09:19:10 -0400

IETF 307 Temporary Redirect

Joseph Potvin
Executive Director, Xalgorithms Foundation
Mobile: 819-593-5983
[email-masked]
https://www.xalgorithms.org