Subject: Fwd: Cancellation of ISO/TC 204 Spring 2020 Tampere Plenary

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 00:01:56 +0100

fyi
  it's about April

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : Cancellation of ISO/TC 204 Spring 2020 Tampere Plenary
Date : Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:30:28 +0000
De : Adrian Guan <[email-masked]>
Répondre à : Adrian Guan <[email-masked]>
Pour : trimmed

Dear TC204 members, on behalf of TC204 Chairman Dick Schnacke, I am 
sending you the announcement of the ISO/TC 204 Spring 2020 Tampere Plenary.

---
Greetings to all TC204 members –
As you know, Adrian and I have been staying in close contact with our 
meeting organizers in Tampere, Finland.  While the Coronavirus was 
greatly affecting most parts of the world, Finland saw hardly any cases 
– until recently.  Virus outbreaks are now growing routinely in Finland, 
including in Tampere and specifically within the University where our 
meetings were being hosted.  The University has now published new 
policies related to gatherings within its facilities and the result is 
that our meetings now cannot be accommodated.  Therefore, although it 
pains me to do it, I must announce that our TC204 meetings in April in 
Tampere are cancelled.  I hope you are able to reverse all your plans 
without too much trouble or expense.  My own plans were made some time 
ago and I know that I will suffer some small losses in cancellation.
Our planning has now shifted to determine how we can best do some 
virtual activities to replace the face-to-face meetings.  I plan to have 
a teleconference with my Chairman’s Advisory Group (CAG) members later 
this week and will follow that with a WG Convenor teleconference early 
next week.  My current thinking is for each WG to hold one or more 
teleconference (virtual) sessions during the days they were planning to 
be in Tampere.  Because of the geographic distribution of members, each 
WG Convenor will have to plan the best time for his membership to meet. 
These sessions should probably be limited to 2 hours in any given day 
because some people will be meeting early in their day and others late 
in the day.  In addition to virtual WG meetings, I would like to explore 
the possibility of holding one or more virtual workshops with all of 
TC204 invited.  I know we’ll learn a lot in conducting these online 
activities – we may decide we want to do lots more of this in the 
future.  I doubt we’ll try doing any part of our TC-wide Plenary 
sessions.  Instead, any items emerging from WG meetings that require WG 
decisions will be conducted by correspondence ballot.
As you might expect, we are operating in recovery mode right now.  As 
new information becomes available, I will see that it is pushed out to 
everyone.  Again, I’m sorry we have reached this point, but these are 
not normal times.  Please contact Adrian or I if you have special needs 
or require specific information.  Many regards to all.  Dick ---

Regards,
Adrian