Subject: Canada just closed the border

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:19:10 -0400

I predicted that there would be a ban on meetings announced during the
welcome reception. That has not happened yet but there are still two days.

Meanwhile the border was just closed which I am counting as the same thing.

+1 to all those involved in doing the right thing here. It was not an easy
decision to make at the time it was taken even if it looks obvious at this
point.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 15:28:00 -0500

I'm also +1, but

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 3:20 PM Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> +1 to all those involved in doing the right thing here.. It was not an
> easy decision to make at the time it was taken even if it looks obvious at
> this point.
>

If I can offer a friendly amendment, I'd
say +NumberOfRegisteredOnsiteAttendees - because all of us that aren't
sitting in the Vancouver airport now should appreciate this a lot!

Best,

Spencer

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:33:35 -0400

Phillip,

Unless I've gotten confused in the onslaught of news, British
Columbia banned all large meetings (or, more specifically,
gatherings of more than 50 people) about four days ago, so with
regard to holding the meeting f2f (or the opening reception),
the closure of the border is, depending your point of view,
either irrelevant or icing on the cake.

Obviously the decision to cancel the f2f meeting and when it was
made was wise and saved us a much more disruptive situation this
week.

   john

--On Friday, March 20, 2020 16:19 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I predicted that there would be a ban on meetings announced
> during the welcome reception. That has not happened yet but
> there are still two days.
> 
> +1 to all those involved in doing the right thing here. It was
> not an easy decision to make at the time it was taken even if
> it looks obvious at this point.

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:59:12 -0400

I have been focused on other issues like trying to work out how we can make
face shields and masks for the hospitals etc. that are running out.

If anyone has a 3D printer or can sew, there is going to be need very soon.

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 03:11:48 -0400

People are asking me about the masks. Here is info on them. And yes they
are desperately needed by many hospitals and nobody gives a crap about IPR
or liabilities at this point.

http://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.php/COVID_masks

Sorry for the broadcast but I don't have time to be in this loop right now.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 4:59 PM Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I have been focused on other issues like trying to work out how we can
> make face shields and masks for the hospitals etc. that are running out.
>