Subject: [Off-Topic, but Context-Relevant] Free/Libre Software Live-Tracking COVID-19 Mutations

From: Joseph Potvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 20:08:19 -0500

There might well be members of this community who would be keen to help
move this project forward one way or another:
https://nextstrain.org/
https://nextstrain.org/ncov
https://github.com/nextstrain/ncov/blob/master/README.md

I'm not part of this project, I just learned of it from this video in which
a doctor of pulmonary medicine interprets the data
https://youtu.be/XjEacUyp4vY?t=590

Maybe Hackathon-relevant, even though out-of-scope for IETF per se?

Joseph Potvin
Executive Director, Xalgorithms Foundation
Mobile: 819-593-5983
[email-masked]
https://www.xalgorithms.org

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 11:19:39 +0100

Le 04/03/2020 à 02:08, Joseph Potvin a écrit :
> I'm not part of this project, I just learned of it from this video in 
> which a doctor of pulmonary medicine interprets the data 

Hackathon event could be appropriate, but would need to access the data, 
not only the software from github.

If that is satisfied, it would be interesting to see which parts of the 
github nextstrain/ncov software communicates, and whether that has some 
bottleneck, and how that could be improved.  BEcause a better 
communication system for 'nextstrain/ncov' could speed up the 
calculation times significantly, on a path to a goal.

('ncov' stands for 'new corona virus' I believe, which is an earlier 
name for what is now 'covid-2019';  reading nextstrain/ncov makes think 
that this 'covid-2019' is itself a blanket name over several things; one 
of them is reported in France on January 23rd, 2020: 'GISAID EPI ISL 
406597' also named 'France/IDF0373/2020' 
https://nextstrain.org/ncov?dmax=2020-01-23&dmin=2020-01-17&s=France/IDF0373/2020)

(if one wants to see what is it called in one's country, then look at 
the map, memorize the color of the circle in one's country, then press 
Play, and, as soon as the small circle of same color appears then click 
on the circle; https://nextstrain.org/ncov)

(then, one might write software to test for presence, provided that data 
is available, and that hardware test kit is free in pharmacy).

Alex

> Mobile: 819-593-5983 <tel:819-593-5983>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>