Subject: IAB report to the community

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:42:05 -0700

Dear Colleagues,

Here is the IAB report for the period between IETF 106 and IETF 107. If 
you have issues you want to discuss by email, feel free to send your 
comments to the IAB as whole at [email-masked]; more detail on many of the 
topics is also available at https://www.iab.org.

Appeals

I am happy to report that there were no appeals during this period.

Appointments

As part of its appointments role, the IAB appointed Petr Špaček to the 
ICANN TLG, for a two year term.  The IAB also appointed Geoff Huston and 
Ted Hardie to the ICANN GWG. The IAB also made an appointment to the 
Internet Society Board of Trustees, but, as usual,  the name will not be 
released until the full slate of Trustees has been chosen.

Documents

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working on 
athttps://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab.  As noted in our last report, 
one cluster of documents came out of the IASA 2 effort.  These have now 
been issued as RFC 8720 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8720/>, RFC 
8722 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8722/>, RFC 8728 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8728/>, RFC 8729 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8729/>, and RFC 8730 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8730/>.  The retrospective on the 
RFC Series, “50 years of RFCs”, was also published, as RFC 8700 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8700/>.

After a consultation with the community in January of 2020, the IAB 
adopted a Conflict of Interest policy 
<https://www.iab.org/internet-architecture-board-conflict-of-interest-policy/>. 

Programs

The IAB organizes its long term work, for the most part, into programs. 
There are basically two classes: management programs and architectural 
programs. The former are how we handle the oversight of various things, 
and the latter are where we do architectural work. The former are 
expected to last as long as the IAB continues to have that oversight 
function; the latter last until the IAB has come to a conclusion on the 
relevant group of topics or has decided that the topic needs to be 
reframed. Programs are listed 
athttps://www.iab.org/activities/programs/. As a general rule, each 
architectural program has a public mailing list, as well as a 
member-specific list. For subscription instructions, 
seehttps://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/.

There are two new programs to call out in this report.  The first is 
model-t 
<https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/internet-threat-model-model-t-program/>, 
which is an open venue for analysis of the Internet threat model and 
environment.  This has three expected outputs of interest to the IETF:

  *

    RFCs and other documents proposing, justifying and explaining new
    threat models and the current threat environment

  *

    RFCs and other documents analysing how BCP72 matches (or doesn’t
    match) today’s reality

  *

    Text to offer to the IETF as a possible update to BCP72

The second is the RFC Editor Future Development Program 
<https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/rfc-editor-future-development-program/>. 
   This will be an open program operating in a manner similar to an IETF 
working group.  Its final charter will be published once the chair(s) 
and IAB liaison have been finalized.

      The IAB has also initiated a discussion in the community about
      resilience. A new mailing list, [email-masked], has been created to
      discuss this topic, but this has not yet been formalised as a
      separate program.

Workshops

There were no workshops during this period.

IETF 107 process

In order to manage the IAB transition effectively with a minimum impact 
on the core IETF 107 virtual meeting, the IAB brought forward the 
meetings usually held on the Sunday of IETF week to the week prior to 
the virtual meeting.  I am thus able to report that the Selection 
Committee composed of the incoming and ongoing IAB members has chosen 
Mirja Kühlewind to serve as the IAB’s next chair. As she is currently 
serving as an IETF Transport Area Director, she will take up this post 
at the conclusion of her service as AD, during the plenary of IETF 107, 
on March 25th, 2020.

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:42:46 +0100

Ted, you hurried the lede!

> On 19 Mar 2020, at 00:42, Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am thus able to report that the Selection Committee composed of the incoming and ongoing IAB members has chosen Mirja Kühlewind to serve as the IAB’s next chair.  As she is currently serving as an IETF Transport Area Director, she will take up this post at the conclusion of her service as AD, during the plenary of IETF 107, on March 25th, 2020.

Congratulations to Mirja and thank you for stewarding the IAB, Ted!

Eliot