Subject: tools.ietf.org -- basics not working?

From: Havard Eidnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 21:46:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

is it just me who finds the basic functionality of
https://tools.ietf.org/ has declined significantly over about the
last half year or so?

My use of the web site is fairly basic:

- look up RFCs by number (I'm sufficiently environmentally
  damaged to remember some of them by number)
- look up internet drafts based on partial draft name
- look up the RFC Index (for when the environment damage
  mentioned above doesn't work...)
- look up the Internet Drafts index

I used to be able to enter the RFC number (just the number, not
having to prefix it with "rfc") in the "Doc fetch:" box.  This
stopped working a few months ago, instead I now get a "404 Not
Found" page.  On a previous exchange when I said that this
stopped working, I was told "you need to prefix with 'rfc'".  Of
course that also doesn't work anymore, if I try to fetch rfc1034,
I also get a "404 Not Found" page.

The "hover text" for the "Doc fetch:" box says "Enter document
number or name, rfc, bcp, draft-..., etc., and hit return".  I
think that's what I'm doing, and ... it's not working for looking
up Internet Drafts either, with or without the version number
(which should not be necessary).  If I paste in
"draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https" and I get back the same "404 Not
Found" web page.  Of course just searching for "svcb" is met with
the same fate, even though there's some probability that there
aren't all that many drafts with that string in the draft name.

The "Documents" link just above the "Doc fetch:" box leads to

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/
which redirects to
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/

which is once again a "404 Not Found" page.

The same goes for the "RFCs" link, which goes to

   https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/index
which redirects to
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/index

which results in an "Object not found", another way to emit the
404 "No such web page" error.

Yes, I have tried to report this to [email-masked],
listed as the contact at the end of the page, but my latest query
has now gone unanswered for a couple of days.

How did we get here?  Are the toolsmiths so busy doing other
fancy stuff that the basics are allowed to languish on their own,
unattended by the wayside?

Isn't this supposed to work?

Obviously, it's not, and I don't think it looks good.

Regards,

- Håvard

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:02:29 +1300

Hi Havard,

I guess you missed this:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/0n-6EXEmkTp3Uv_vj-5Vnm3o0bo

It seems the IETF 111 deadline was missed, but I'm sure Robert will update us on progress.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Havard Eidnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:42:32 +0200 (CEST)

> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/0n-6EXEmkTp3Uv_vj-5Vnm3o0bo

That's entirely possible, though I did catch some related
discussion.

Someone pointed out that the "fetch RFC by number" functionality
is now again working, so that's good, at least.

The document indexes for "RFCs" and "Documents" are still dead.

I would have hoped for and expected a "make before break"
transition strategy...

Regards,

- Håvard

---

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:29:14 +1300

> On 16/10/2021, at 11:43 PM, Havard Eidnes <he=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>> 
>> I guess you missed this:

Yes we all would have preferred that but tools.ietf.org is not controlled by the IETF.  We are working hard and putting considerable resources into standing up new services as replacements but that unfortunately is all we can do.

Jay 

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director 
[email-masked]

---

From: Lloyd W <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:19:10 +1100

Speaking of sites not controlled by the ietf, whatever happened to
ietfreport.isoc.org ?

https://web.archive.org/web/20171023192413/http://ietfreport.isoc.org/

and work back in time.

Lloyd Wood
[email-masked]

> On 17 Oct 2021, at 12:30, Jay Daley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 06:30:26 +0000

https://www.potaroo.net/ietf

It was never an IETF activity - it was something that I cooked up some years ago and ISOC was keen to re-publish for a while.

thanks,

Geoff

> On 24 Oct 2021, at 1:19 pm, Lloyd W <lloyd.wood=[email-masked]> wrote:
>