Subject: Jonathan B. Postel Award 2021

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:32:46 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I write in advance of the upcoming IETF meeting to let you know about
this year's Jonathan B Postel Service Award.

Every year since the death of Dr Jon Postel, we have presented this
award in his name to an individual or organization that has made
outstanding and sustained contributions in service to the Internet
community.  The Internet Society sponsors this award, and relies on
the collected wisdom of volunteers of previous awardees to serve as
the Nomination Committee and make the selection from those who are
nominated.

This year, we were fortunate to have guidance from 15 of the previous
awardees: Alain Aina, Daniel Karrenberg, Dave Farber, Elizabeth "Jake"
Feinler, Ermanno Pietrosemoli, Jun Murai, Lawrence Landweber, Mahabir
Pun, Nii Quaynor, Onno W Purbo, Pierre Quedraogo, Prof Kanchana
Kanchanasut, Prof Kilnam Chon, Scott Bradner, Stephen Wolff, Steven G
Huter

Every year's Nomination Committee is deeply committed to honoring
Dr. Postel's legacy and his commitment to the Internet for everyone.
This year's was no exception, so they were thus dedicated to ensuring
the backgrounds and accomplishments of individuals nominated
successfully satisfy the award criteria.

It turned out that, after careful review and consideration of the
candidates, the Nomination Committee has been unable to reach
consensus on an awardee, and has decided not to select an awardee
this year.

In order to avoid this happening again, the Internet Society will
work to clarify and make public the selection criteria prior to
nominations opening in March of 2022.

The Internet would not function without the dedicated people who
provide such service to our community.  I am personally sad about this
outcome, and I am committed to make sure our processes yield a
positive result in the future.  Thank you to all the nominees this
year, to those who nominated them, and to the Nomination Committee
members.

Best regards,

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
President & CEO, Internet Society
[email-masked]
+1 416 731 1261