Subject: Has a Last Call been issueed?

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:13:51 +0000

Is there any way to find out whether or not an IETF Last Call has been 
issued for an I-D?

I see Directorate reviews and think that I want to comment on the I-D, 
go to the Datatracker and it tells me that 'Publication has been 
requested' but when I search the e-mail archives, I see no sign of a 
Last Call e-mail.  There seems to be a state of limbo, after Publication 
has been requested but before a Last Call is issued, which can go on for 
months perhaps while the WG has further discussions about the I-D as the 
result of a Directorate review.  My wish is to wait until any such 
issues are resolved and then comment but unless I am signed up to the WG 
list, it would seem impossible.

And then of course not all I-D get an IETF Last Call so I would be 
hovering, pen in hand, for evermore!

Tom Petch

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:27:45 -0000

Look in the History tab. Last calls are recorded there.

Or look in the archive of the announce list.

A

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of tom petch
Sent: 19 November 2021 17:14
To: ietf <[email-masked]>
Subject: Has a Last Call been issueed?

Tom Petch

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:29:43 -0800

Hi Tom,

The datatracker 'history' tab for a draft will indicate that a last-call
was issued (including the last-call text).

For example,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-external-psk-guidance/history/
shows that the last call was issued on 2021-10-29.

The "publication requested" state means that the WG has sent a draft to the
responsible AD for their review, and the AD is responsible for requesting
the IETF last call after doing their own review.

Also, now that we have RFC 8789, I think it's de facto required that all
IETF-stream drafts do get a full IETF last call.

-Ben

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 18:43:35 +0100

> Or look in the archive of the announce list.

(Which tells you what has happened.)

… or, if you want to know what has to happen next, look at the magic combination of:

IESG state	Waiting for Writeup
Action Holders	Benjamin Kaduk 

in the IESG section.
(If you wonder about the states, click on “IESG state”).

There is even a mailto: link on the letter icon to the right of the name besides “action holders”...
Just don’t trust any red "for 135 days” labels, these measure the time between some unrelated distant event and now.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:57:32 -0800

> Just don’t trust any red "for 135 days” labels, these measure the time between some unrelated distant event and now.

My recollection is that the "for NNN days" labels measure time since the
last top-level state (not sub-state) change.
So, going from Publication Requested to Publication Requested::Revised I-D
needed does not reset the counter, but going from In Last Call to Waiting
for Writeup should reset the counter.

-Ben

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:29:46 +0000

> for Writeup should reset the counter.

Thank you for the responses.  What I forgot to say is that I want to do 
it from the WG page that lists all WG I-D; having to click on the I-D 
and get all the details, such as History, is too much hassle (although 
it is a good source of other information that I was unaware of).

Spending a morning ploughing through the data tracker, I think that the 
first line relating to the I-D on the WG page actually does change from 
'Publication Requested' to 'In Last Call' while if I click on the detail 
page for the I-D, then it is the IESG State that changs from 
'Publication Requested' to 'In Last Call' -  I had been focussing on the 
section labelled 'Stream' which does not change!

Tom Petch

> .