Subject: RE: PKINIT-23 comments: section 3.2.3.1 ECDH support

From: "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:13:49 -0800

We have been getting strong pressure from one of the largest customers
in the world, saying that they will be making this a mandatory
purchasing requirement in the not-too-distant future (1-2 years); this
pressure is such that I believe virtually all vendors will want to
comply. 

Hence, even if we don't spec it now, I believe we _at least_ need to
make sure that it can be added w/o breaking anything. That means (e.g.)
the appropriate "CHOICE" constructs are in place now, even if currently
the only choice is DH.

I would prefer to just get it done with now. We seem to be nearly done.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:owner-ietf-krb-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Hutzelman
> Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 5:18 PM
> To: Liqiang(Larry) Zhu; Nicolas Williams; Sam Hartman
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: PKINIT-23 comments: section 3.2.3.1 ECDH support
> 
> So far I have seen no comments in favor of adding this text to PKINIT.
> As I've said before, a single suggestion does not a consensus make.
> 
> This issue is still open, and is #840.
> 
> -- Jeff
>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:11:04 -0500

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Leach <[email-masked]> writes:

    Paul> We have been getting strong pressure from one of the largest
    Paul> customers in the world, saying that they will be making this
    Paul> a mandatory purchasing requirement in the not-too-distant
    Paul> future (1-2 years); this pressure is such that I believe
    Paul> virtually all vendors will want to comply.

    Paul> Hence, even if we don't spec it now, I believe we _at least_
    Paul> need to make sure that it can be added w/o breaking
    Paul> anything. That means (e.g.)  the appropriate "CHOICE"
    Paul> constructs are in place now, even if currently the only
    Paul> choice is DH.

I agree that we need to make it possible.

Because of the IPR issues my personal preference is for all the EC
stuff to be in its own draft.

--Sam