Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] RFC-Editor Note for draft-ietf-krb-wg-anon-12

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:32:52 -0400

In order to address issues raised during IETF Last Call and/or IESG review, 
we're attaching the following Notes to the RFC Editor to anon.  Modulo 
these changes, this document has been approved and should enter the RFC 
Editor's queue shortly.

-- Jeff

  Please make the following changes prior to publication:

  In Section 4 (a/an):
  OLD:
     In order to request an anonymous ticket, the client sets the
     anonymous KDC option in an AS request or an TGS request.
  NEW:
     In order to request an anonymous ticket, the client sets the
     anonymous KDC option in an AS request or a TGS request.

  In Section 4.1:
  OLD:
     client realm is the realm of the AS.  According to [RFC4120] the
     client name and the client realm in the EncTicketPart of the reply
     MUST match with the corresponding client name and the client realm of
     the anonymous ticket in the reply; the client MUST use the client
  NEW:
     client realm is the realm of the AS.  According to [RFC4120] the
     client name and the client realm in the EncTicketPart of the reply
     MUST match with the corresponding client name and the client realm of
     the KDC reply; the client MUST use the client

  In Section 4.1.1, graf 1: s/anonymity/anonymous/

  In Section 4.1.1, graf 2 (wording and 3852/5652 reference update):
  OLD:
     the client sets the client name as the anonymous principal
     in the AS exchange and provides a PA_PK_AS_REQ pre-authentication
     data [RFC4556] where both the signerInfos field and the certificates
     field of the SignedData [RFC3852] of the PA_PK_AS_REQ are empty.
  NEW:
     the client sets the client name as the anonymous principal
     in the AS exchange and provides a PA_PK_AS_REQ pre-authentication
     data [RFC4556] where the signerInfos field of the SignedData [RFC5652]
     of the PA_PK_AS_REQ is empty, and the certificates field is absent.

  And again, in Section 4.1.1, graf 3:
  OLD:
     If the KDC replies anonymously, both the
     signerInfos field and the certificates field of the SignedData
     [RFC3852] of PA_PK_AS_REP in the reply are empty.  The server name in
     the anonymous KDC reply contains the name of the TGS.
  NEW:
     If the KDC replies anonymously, the signerInfos field of the
     SignedData [RFC5652] of PA_PK_AS_REP in the reply is empty, and
     the certificates field is absent.  The server name in
     the anonymous KDC reply contains the name of the TGS.

  In Section 4.2 (commas):
  OLD:
   the TGS MAY omit the previous realm if the cross realm TGT is
   an anonymous one in order to hide the authentication path of the
   client.
  NEW:
   the TGS MAY omit the previous realm, if the cross realm TGT is
   an anonymous one, in order to hide the authentication path of the
   client.

  In Section 4.3, graf 7, s/preformed/performed/

  In Section 8, graf 3: s/insure/ensures/

  In Section 8, before graf 5, insert:

  Two mechanisms, the FAST facility with the hide-client-names option in
  [FAST] and the Kerberos5 starttls option [STARTTLS protect the
  client identity so that an attacker would never be able to observe the
  client identity sent to the KDC.  Transport or network layer security
  between the client and the server will help prevent tracking of a
  particular ticket to link a ticket to a user. In addition, clients can
  limit how often a ticket is re-used to minimize ticket linking.

  In Section 11.1:
  OLD:
   [RFC3852]  Housley, R., "Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)",
              RFC 3852, July 2004.
  NEW:
   [RFC5652]  Housley, R., "Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)",
              RFC 5652, September 2009.

  Also in Section 11.1, add the following normative references:
   [X680]             Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1):
                      Specification of Basic Notation, ITU-T
                      Recommendation X.680 (1997) | ISO/IEC
                      International Standard 8824-1:1998.

   [X690]             ASN.1 encoding rules: Specification of Basic
                      Encoding Rules (BER), Canonical Encoding Rules
                      (CER) and Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER),
                      ITU-T Recommendation X.690 (1997)| ISO/IEC
                      International Standard 8825-1:1998.

  In Section 11.2, add the following informative reference (note this
  document has already been approved by the IESG)

   [STARTTLS] Josefsson, S., "Using Kerberos V5 over the Transport
              Layer Security (TLS) Protocol",
              draft-josefsson-kerberos5-starttls (work in progress),
              2010.

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg