Subject: Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] I-D Action:draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option-09.txt

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:45:27 -0400

--On Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:00:02 PM -0700 
[email-masked] wrote:

> 	Title           : Kerberos Options for DHCPv6
> 	Author(s)       : S. Sakane, M. Ishiyama
> 	Filename        : draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option-09.txt
> 	Pages           : 18
> 	Date            : 2010-09-09

This appears to address most of the issues I and others raised during WGLC;
however, several new issues have appeared.  Please note that this document
is post-WGLC, and so the _only_ changes you should be making are those
needed to resolve issues raised as part of this process, in ways consistent
with WG consensus.  The last revision contained a number of places where
whole paragraphs were rewritten or reordered.  These changes resulted in no
real difference in semantics, but make re-review more difficult and are
inappropriate at this stage. Please do not do that again.

Section 3:

> Other options may be defined in the future.  Those should be
> defined in another document.

These things are self-evident and do not need to be stated.

> However, the order of the options MUST NOT mean.

This is nonsensical; please remove it.

> Typical usage is described in section XXX

Where?

Section 3.2:
This section defines a "Kerberos Realm Name" option, but incorrectly
uses the option code OPTION_KRB_KDC_OPTION, and doesn't describe the
semantics of the provided realm name.  It's clearly not the client's
default realm, which is what OPTION_KRB_DEFAULT_REALM_NAME is for.
In the previous version of the document, the implication was that one
could mention a realm and then a number of KDC's for that realm, but
top-level DHCP options must not have order dependencies.  So, we need
to either drop the concept of providing information about KDC's for
multiple realms, or combine a realm name and list of KDC's into one
DHCPv6 option.

Section 3.4:
> parameters of a KDC in a Kerberos domain.

Kerberos has realms, not domains.

Section 3.4:

"Service Type" was changed to "Transport" in the text, but not in
the diagram.

Section 7:

> The initial types are described in section XXX

I think you mean "section 3.4".

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Shoichi Sakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:24:12 +0900

Jeff,

Thank you for your review and your suggestion.  I apologize my big modification.  If you could allow me to say about that, I would say that there was no way to resolve the issue of the sub-option vs the options rather I did so.  Next time, I will note it further more.

Could you tell me what I am supposed to do ?  Do I have to submit new version after I fix the issues you pointed ?

Shoichi Sakane

---

From: ssakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:14:13 +0900

Jeff,

Thank you for your review and your suggestion.  I apologize my big
modification.  If you could allow me to say about that, I would say that
there was no way to resolve the issue of the sub-option vs the options
rather I did so.  Next time, I will note it further more.

Could you tell me what I am supposed to do ?  Do I have to submit new
version after I fix the issues you pointed ?

Shoichi Sakane

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:45:14 -0400

> rather I did so.  Next time, I will note it further more.

I agree that the majority of the changes you made were necessary in order 
to convert from suboptions to distinct options.  While those edits were 
large and complicated, they were also absolutely the right thing to do.  In 
general, that goes for anything that is the result of a consensus reached 
here on the mailing list.  The difficulty comes only from introducing 
significant change _not_ resulting from such a consensus, after the 
document has passed last call and is waiting to be passed along to the IESG 
as representing the consensus of the WG.

-- Jeff