Subject: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1

From: "Sunil Chitnis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:42:12 -0800

Hi,

 Let me first introduce myself. I am Sunil Chitnis, part of the
management protocol development group in the Service Provider BU within
Foundry Networks. We have been looking into the current draft version 1
of the L2VPN mib, and are planning on implementing it.

 At the moment I have some questions, which I would like to present
before this committee:

vplsConfigTable

-          The table index, vplsConfigIndex seems like a row index. In
that case, VPLS Instance ID (or VC ID) information is missing in this
table. This instance ID is given by the user during VPLS creation time
(vpls name could be additional information).

-          VPLS Class Of Service (0 to 7) information is also missing.
This value is used to select the tunnel whose COS value equals or
approaches this value.

-          Max MAC that could be learned for this VPLS instance. This
number sets the upper limit for the number of MACs that could be learned
from all the end-points within this VPLS instance.

-          This does not fit in the config table, but there could be a
different mib to control a vpls session, like clearing of all learned
MACs.

VPLS End-Points

Currently, I don't see any support for managing multiple end-points for
a given VPLS instance. The other end, of associating a VPLS instance to
multiple Pseudo-wire looks clean. There seems to be a lean towards SNMP
Context Mapping MIB to represent the end-points. We were expecting
following information within the end-point table representation:

-          Table indexed by vplsConfigIndex, vlan-id, ifIndex of
endpoint (if end point is trunk, use ifIndex of trunk)

-          Endpoint tag-mode (tagged, untagged)

-          InHCPacket (ingress to the endpoint), OutHCPacket (from
tunnel to endpoint) counter, L2 state (fwding, blocking, disabled)

Question related to pwTable/pwEnetTable

Is there a way to walk the pwTable and be able to know if a row is
mapped to a VPLS or VLL service?

Notifications

-          We need support for VPLS instance deletion and creation
notifications as one could create VPLS service and add pseudo-wires to
it at a later stage.

Hoping to hear back from you .

Regards

Sunil

Foundry Networks, Santa Clara, CA

**** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION **** This electronic
transmission and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only
for use by the recipient named above. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the
electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
content of information received in error is strictly prohibited.