Subject: Re: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1

From: Bala Venkata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:35:39 -0500

Sunil-

One more item to your list:

- Is the secondary index of vplsPwBindTable (i.e vplsPwBindIndex) same as pwIndex ? What is the case for having a separate variable (that is, what is the case where the same pseudo-wire is referred to by the same vpls more than once)

Thanks !

/bala

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:42:12 -0800
From: "Sunil Chitnis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Sunil Chitnis <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:
??? <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hi,

?Let me first introduce myself. I am Sunil Chitnis, part of the
management protocol development group in the Service Provider BU within
Foundry Networks. We have been looking into the current draft version 1
of the L2VPN mib, and are planning on implementing it.

?

?At the moment I have some questions, which I would like to present
before this committee:

vplsConfigTable

-????????? The table index, vplsConfigIndex seems like a row index. In
that case, VPLS Instance ID (or VC ID) information is missing in this
table. This instance ID is given by the user during VPLS creation time
(vpls name could be additional information).

-????????? VPLS Class Of Service (0 to 7) information is also missing.
This value is used to select the tunnel whose COS value equals or
approaches this value.

-????????? Max MAC that could be learned for this VPLS instance. This
number sets the upper limit for the number of MACs that could be learned
from all the end-points within this VPLS instance.

-????????? This does not fit in the config table, but there could be a
different mib to control a vpls session, like clearing of all learned
MACs.

?

?

VPLS End-Points

Currently, I don't see any support for managing multiple end-points for
a given VPLS instance. The other end, of associating a VPLS instance to
multiple Pseudo-wire looks clean. There seems to be a lean towards SNMP
Context Mapping MIB to represent the end-points. We were expecting
following information within the end-point table representation:

-????????? Table indexed by vplsConfigIndex, vlan-id, ifIndex of
endpoint (if end point is trunk, use ifIndex of trunk)

-????????? Endpoint tag-mode (tagged, untagged)

-????????? InHCPacket (ingress to the endpoint), OutHCPacket (from
tunnel to endpoint) counter, L2 state (fwding, blocking, disabled)

?

Question related to pwTable/pwEnetTable

Is there a way to walk the pwTable and be able to know if a row is
mapped to a VPLS or VLL service?

?

Notifications

-????????? We need support for VPLS instance deletion and creation
notifications as one could create VPLS service and add pseudo-wires to
it at a later stage.

?

Hoping to hear back from you .

?

Regards

Sunil

Foundry Networks, Santa Clara, CA

?

**** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION **** This electronic
transmission and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only
for use by the recipient named above. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the
electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
content of information received in error is strictly prohibited.

?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.ietf.org/pipermail/l2vpn/attachments/20080304/c7a07e89/attachment.htm

---

From: Bala Venkata <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:27:37 -0500

Thanks for the response Rohit. My question was, why then not use pwIndex itself as the secondary index to show the reference relation correctly?(instead of creating "vplsPwBindIndex" that has the same value)? Or am I missing something here ...?

/bala

-----Original Message-----
From: MEDIRATTA Rohit <[email-masked]>
To: Bala Venkata <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:32 pm
Subject: RE: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1

Hi Bala,

? The secondary Index in the vplsPwBindTable is the same as pwIndex. The two indexes to this table are required to define the One-to-Many nature of Vpls.

I dont think the intention is to have the same PW referred to by the same Vpls more than once. This is why it "vplsPwBindIndex" is referred to as a "secondary index".

?

thanks,

Rohit

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bala Venkata
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1

Sunil-

Thanks !

/bala

Message: 1

Hi,

?

vplsConfigTable

?

?

VPLS End-Points

?

?

Notifications

?

?

Regards

Sunil

?

?

-------------- next part --------------

Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar for your browser.

---

From: "MEDIRATTA Rohit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 01:32:21 -0600

Hi Bala,
  The secondary Index in the vplsPwBindTable is the same as pwIndex. The
two indexes to this table are required to define the One-to-Many nature
of Vpls.
I dont think the intention is to have the same PW referred to by the
same Vpls more than once. This is why it "vplsPwBindIndex" is referred
to as a "secondary index".
 
thanks,
Rohit

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Bala Venkata
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Feedback on L2VPN draft mib v1

Sunil-

- Is the secondary index of vplsPwBindTable (i.e vplsPwBindIndex) same
as pwIndex ? What is the case for having a separate variable (that is,
what is the case where the same pseudo-wire is referred to by the same
vpls more than once)

Thanks !

/bala

Message: 1
    <[email-masked]>

Hi,

 Let me first introduce myself. I am Sunil Chitnis, part of the
management protocol development group in the Service Provider BU within
Foundry Networks. We have been looking into the current draft version 1
of the L2VPN mib, and are planning on implementing it.

 At the moment I have some questions, which I would like to present
before this committee:

vplsConfigTable

-          The table index, vplsConfigIndex seems like a row index. In
that case, VPLS Instance ID (or VC ID) information is missing in this
table. This instance ID is given by the user during VPLS creation time
(vpls name could be additional information).

-          VPLS Class Of Service (0 to 7) information is also missing.
This value is used to select the tunnel whose COS value equals or
approaches this value.

-          Max MAC that could be learned for this VPLS instance. This
number sets the upper limit for the number of MACs that could be learned
from all the end-points within this VPLS instance.

-          This does not fit in the config table, but there could be a
different mib to control a vpls session, like clearing of all learned
MACs.

VPLS End-Points

-          Table indexed by vplsConfigIndex, vlan-id, ifIndex of
endpoint (if end point is trunk, use ifIndex of trunk)

-          Endpoint tag-mode (tagged, untagged)

-          InHCPacket (ingress to the endpoint), OutHCPacket (from
tunnel to endpoint) counter, L2 state (fwding, blocking, disabled)

Notifications

-          We need support for VPLS instance deletion and creation
notifications as one could create VPLS service and add pseudo-wires to
it at a later stage.

Regards

Sunil

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/pipermail/l2vpn/attachments/20080304/c7a07e89/attach
ment.htm 

________________________________

Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar
<http://download.aim.com/client/aimtoolbar?NCID=aolcmp00300000002586>
for your browser.