Subject: Re: Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 01:14:37 +1000

Hi Magnus,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:25 PM Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Regarding Section 7.3 and Section 1 paragraph:
> A possible addition here either in the above paragraph or at least in Section
> 7.3 that deploying enterprise PA based multi-homing solution actually benefits
> the usage of multi-path protocols as this ensures that the MP capable transport
> protocol get a well defined handle to something that likely lead to path
> diversity. So from my perspective, a working well enough PA based multi-homing
> solution benefits the deployment of multi-path protocols which in its turn
> makes the PA based multi-homing work even better than NATed or PI based ones.

The section 6 of the -09 says that
'However the

   mechanism proposed in this document attempts to ensure that the
   subset of source addresses available for applications and upper-layer
   protocols is selected with the up-to-date network state in mind.'

I guess it's close to what you are saying - that the solution we
propose would provide the multi-path protocols with the signal what
addresses could be used.
Or would you like to see more text on this topic?

Thanks!

-- 
SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 08:24:54 +0000

> Or would you like to see more text on this topic?

It was a non-blocking comment, and from the perspective of how the
document is written I guess it is not at all necessary to do any
changes. From my perspective it is a relevant observation that although
multipath is not a solution for the multihoming a network, multihoming
with provider addresses is a benefit to multihoming protocols. Which
indicates that if this should be added it is likely in the introduction
section or not at all. Your call. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Network Architecture & Protocols, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:44:46 +1000

Hi Magnus,

> section or not at all. Your call.

I've updated Section 8.3 (Multipath Transport)
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-10#section-8.3
with the following text:

"On the other hand PA-based multihoming could provide additional
   benefits for multipath protocol, should those protocols be deployed
   in the network.  Multipath protocols could leverage source address
   selection to achieve maximum path diversity (and potentially improved
   performance).

   Therefore deploying multipath protocols could not be considered as an
   alternative to the approach proposed in this document.  Instead both
   solutions complement each other so deploying multipath protocols in
   PA-based multihomed network proves mutually beneficial".

Thanks for your suggestion!

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 11:38:38 +0000

> Thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks,

The text looks good. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund